Poole Harbour Osprey Project 2021 Season

As it's nearly that time I suppose it's time to start a new Thread for the Upcoming season.

For 2020 thread click HERE

Richard B

• Look who's home!  No activity, no company, but s/he'll surely be back Heart eyes

IMAGICAT

• Wonderful! thanks scylla.
  • 022 was on the nest pre-daycam and after, on 'n off a few times and brought some bracken - CJ7 not seen but she's certainly (probably ;) ) been "up there".

Much later he arrived with half a fish, highly indignant due to nearby corvids ???

Checking the live stream, I see that CJ7 is there now, looks like she's been there a while and that she was preceded by 022 but I'll check back properly later.

IMAGICAT

• CJ7 had arrived on the nest @ 09:00.

After half an hour 022 arrived with the tailend of a fish.  Of course he couldn't easily mate with fish afoot, and CJ7 didn't seem to want it (we've never yet seen a fish-gift, IIRC), he kept rising and landing until he gave up and flew off/around.

Not edited, so you can see every little nuance ;)

Snap chosen for being a bit different:

09:39 CJ7 flew up to campost.

Shortly after, the mating attempts started, 022 not helped by the wind, CJ7 mostly co-operating - she brought a fine live Mullet in the afternoon.  There was a cambump after 22:00 but when I tried to narrow it down it disappeared - I wondered if it was our Nightjar, given the lightness of the touch.

Anyway... many a slip twixt now and then, but if this continues it will be superb preparation for next season.  I hope there will be an exchange of fish soon.

(I'm losing count of the edits to correct typos... and there's even a typo in here Tired face  )

IMAGICAT

• 24 May

04:45 022 flew across our screen from the left and landed, pottered for 2 minutes, flew off to our right.

IMAGICAT

• A big fish with 022.

Copyright Birds of Poole Harbour

• Just checked the live stream and who should appear but... I don't know!

LIVE snap !!!

IMAGICAT

• I was just going to tag you in about the bird Scylla

Richard B

• Hmmm my best guesses are bad guesses.....pipit, lark
  • I thought that little bird's head was slightly tufted when it tipped forward.  Anyway, I'm jjust starting the run-thru for the day (late, cos of hatch @ Clywedog and difficulties @ LoTL).

04:45 022 had been on the campost briefly, I think, and flew around and entered our screen from the left, across and onto the nest from the right, stayed 2 minutes.  I think that CJ7 landed on the campost during that time but didn't drop down.

Need to save time and energy, so no visuals of the early-morning appearance.

IMAGICAT