Poole Harbour Osprey Project 2021 Season

As it's nearly that time I suppose it's time to start a new Thread for the Upcoming season.

For 2020 thread click HERE

Richard B

• I agree JANE and I can't rvrn bear to look in at the nest
  • Thanks, everyone. I've lost track--is that now five eggs that she has laid this year?!

Kind regards, Ann

• Yes, five eggs now.

I’ll say this till I’m blue in the face - the fact that CJ7 is here ready and waiting is brilliant for the long-term project that this is. She is a star, and could be the founding female of a dynasty! Rejoice in her! We are so privileged to be able to witness this all happening before our very eyes. (And there will be a male at some point.) Rant over.
  • You are absolutely right, Alison, I agree. It is just a matter of unfortunate chance that the male she paired up with originally did not return last year. If he had, then we would definitely be rejoicing at the speedy progress of the project. Also, it is unfortunate chance that one of the years in Poole Harbour's translocation project was unusually hot and resulted in complex issues causing so many juveniles to die, or we would be seeing more returning males than we have had so far. Furthermore, I seem to remember reading that the first successful nest at Rutland Water was something like 5 years after the first juvenile was translocated from Scotland to Rutland. CJ7 could easily live for many more years and if she does, then a male will come along eventually who is ready to mate and raise a family with her. Also, once we have more than one 3-year old or older male returning, then one or more of them might attract another returning female who fledged farther north, but who likes the look of them and of the Poole Harbour area. I am still hopeful, and my only concern is that it actually happens before I become too old to visit once there is an active nest there--fingers crossed!

Kind regards, Ann

• Well that’s me told - I won’t delete my post as the thread won’t make sense for those following.
  • I'm sorry, Jane, it wasn't aimed at just you. I should keep quiet but sometimes my feelings spill over too!
  • Yes, I think we 'humans' can feel sad about it, Jane, but it's nature. And let's face it, she is a fine looking osprey, with a nest, with a territory, and more importantly she can produce eggs, albeit unfertilized. She has food aplenty near by and looks well. Projects like these don't happen overnight. All such projects need time - Santandar/Urdaibai started in 2013 for five years, again with Scottish birds. The first returned in 2015, like Poole. 'Roy' was one of the birds, and it was only last year that he bonded with a French female, and I think they are breeding this year. It's a long term project. However, I do feel sad to see her all alone!

Edit:  Yes, Roy and his French lady, Landa, laid their first egg on 18 April, the first egg to be laid in Urdaibai.  2013-2021.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I think I will stop posting on this thread as this is so close to my heart as a volunteer on the project, and I don't wish to upset anyone any further by disagreeing with the general sadness about CJ7.
  • Oh no, Alison. Your comments on here are really valued, and gives a wonderful insight into a virgin project. Please do continue to give your updates.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Alison. I can do no better than echo Sheila's thoughts. You are in a better position than most to advise and inform when it is appropriate to do so. You have never failed yet and I look forward to your continued presence here.