Poole Harbour Osprey Project 2021 Season

As it's nearly that time I suppose it's time to start a new Thread for the Upcoming season.

For 2020 thread click HERE

• Thanks, Alison, it is sad for CJ7 that she has not yet found a partner, but at least the eggs did not go to waste and have helped another part of the natural world to survive.
  • I hadn't abandoned dear CJ7, or any of you - it's all been a bit much to keep up with but she's been waiting on my hard drive...

I couldn't be 100% certain of #4's laying time but decided on 08:26 - she took her time before leaving it:

Honestly, I upped the song and downed the wind umpteen times but could not do the birdie justice - a significant tragedy of the 2021 season so far, when you think what a melody we could have enjoyed.

CJ7 spent long periods away from the nest (but may have been on the campost, of course), here are most of the few occasions she sat with them:

It was a gorgeous glossy Raven who took CJ7's latest 2 eggs:

CJ7 flew up to the campost in a blur @ 20:57, I didn't detect her leaving.

• The following morning CJ7 had a flyabout and landed, checked the nestcup (after clip ends she poked about then waited at the back of the nest).

She did a lot of nestorising up until a bit after 10:00, bringing in quite a bit of stuff:

And she did a lot of preening.  She looked quite cheerful. Then was gone for the rest of the morning until 15:56, when she flew in with a good headless fish - you could think it had been prepared by a partner Wink

Sorry for another landing shot but this was the best view of the fish:

She just stood there for the rest of the afternoon, apparently oblivious to the rain.

A couple of ins 'n outs (with some nestcup work late on, omitted), on one return she got buzzed - I wondered if she dropped her fish rather than ate it but have no evidence either way.

This morning she flew in from the right-ish with a single chirp @ 05:04.  She tended the nestcup and stood around:

She's in the same position now.

• Thank you for the updates Scylla. I do so hope a young male arrives and stays.
  • A quick catch up with CJ7, it looked like she was getting pestered by a flock of something or other and then a "coughing" fit, I know there is a technical term but I'll leave that to an expert. 

Copyright BoPH

• JaneV said:
    then a "coughing" fit, I know there is a technical term but I'll leave that to an expert. 

No expert available but I expect she was trying to cast a pellet - or fragments thereof.

I've sprinted thru the day, having vowed to snap only more than one osprey on the nest at the same time - and you guessed it, that means no snaps Stuck out tongue  So thanks for yours, JANE Blush 

She's been on the nest at least as much as off, last seen (up to about 17:30) flying off to our right @ 15:52.  It's been a nasty wet evening so far.

• The night continued nasty but the morning cleared a bit.  CJ7 floated down on the wind @ 05:06, stood around, flapped into the nestcup:

and has been standing around ever since.

• JaneV said:
    07.17 CJ7 has laid another egg

A bit more laborious than previous eggs?  I've included pre and post laying, giving due respect to the unfortunate girl:

• It is such an unfortunate situation and presumably being so far south she is only likely to attract a returning youngster and not one going north. I find it quite sad.