Poole Harbour Osprey Project 2021 Season

As it's nearly that time I suppose it's time to start a new Thread for the Upcoming season.

For 2020 thread click HERE

Richard B

• Just caught CJ7 flying past and a few minutes later returns to the nest with a stick.
  • Awww I really do hope she finds a partner this year, it was so sad to see her lay dud eggs last year. 

© BIRDS OF POOLE HARBOUR OSPREY PROJECT

• CJ7 is popping back and looking skywards, fingers crossed for her.

Copyright Birds of Poole Harbour - will do a proper link (hopefully).

• An empty nest, but regular clunks from the microphone, and an undoubted  Osprey call when a corvid landed on the nest. She is perched very close keeping an eye on the nest and advertsing her presence.  Excellent!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• 13:36 back to the nest and the microphone clunks have stopped.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Hello CRinger.  Great to see you again!

CJ7 waits patiently

© BoPH

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Now she is off the nest -,but the clunks on the microphone have re-started. This female is impressing me! Very much. Assiduous,

• CRinger you will no doubt have heard and read about this nest - Birds of Poole Harbour is part of a new translocation project along with good old Roy Dennis. The project started in 2017 and our lady, Blue CJ7(15)f, befriended the first translocation chicks when they were released there. She has returned every year since and in 2019 she became attached to a first-year young returnee, Blue LS7(17)m. They bonded and there was every hope that he might return last year. Sadly he didn't. Whether he did not survive migration or perhaps just moved on we will never know.
    CJ7 is a chick from Rutland, Site K and her mum is Yellow 30(05)f.

• SheilaFE said:
    CRinger you will no doubt have heard and read about this nest - Birds of Poole Harbour is part of a new translocation project along with good old Roy Dennis. The project started in 2017 and our lady, Blue CJ7(15)f, befriended the first translocation chicks when they were released there. She has returned every year since and in 2019 she became attached to a first-year young returnee, Blue LS7(17)m. They bonded and there was every hope that he might return last year. Sadly he didn't. Whether he did not survive migration or perhaps just moved on we will never know.
    CJ7 is a chick from Rutland, Site K and her mum is Yellow 30(05)f.

Thanks  for all the info Sheila. I had discovered that CJ7 was a Rutland chick attracted by the young translocated birds, but didn't know about Blue LS7. If I remember correctly one of the very first European translocation projects succeeded 2 years earlier than expected because some Ospreys passing through were attracted by translocated birds, which obviously did not return for 3 years, but the birds passing through returned the following year and made a nest 'believing' that this was already an established site for breeding Ospreys. I can't remember which country this was!   

• LOL If Tiger were keeping an eye on the Forum he might have known!