Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 January 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a safe week, and you all find some joy. 

Sunrise through the Lodgepole Pines
Yellowstone National Park
US National Park Service NPS/Jacob W. Frank
Photo labeled public domain (copyright free). 

• That;s really nice Lindybird to be asked if they could use your poem at the revamped LG site. Hopefully it will get off the ground when the lockdowns have been lifted. Let's hope so.
  • Evening all:   Have been busy doing Not Much today - warm again but cool temps on way.  Have had to turn Starry Night around so I can work on the starry bit without dislodging the town below. Can't say I'd recommend Van Gogh to jigsaw fans unless you're really obsessive and have nothing else at all to do for weeks and weeks....

Lindybird:  Brilliant about the poem.  Congratulations!  I'll pop over to the Poetry site - is it obvious which one it is?

Have read everyone's posts re little peoples' swimming success; people trampling crops for lack of wellies, homesteading hardships (and yes, what about the Native Americans and what must they be thinking?), vaccines and confusion over what constitutes 'distance.'  

Take care and stay well everyone, with special hope that OG's week will be good.

• DIANE – I enjoyed your info on homesteading. It seems similar to SA’s credit selection scheme from 1869. 640 acres could be bought with 20% paid and rest over 4 years. Selector had to live on property & make improvements (fences, dams or wells, house) and they had to grow crops. Regulations did change as 640 acres were too small. Several twigs on our family trees were credit selectors. Other states had similar. Good luck with your novel. Our libraries have few books, fiction or non-fiction, of the farmlands of US. I can only think of James Michener but he was culled years ago.

HEATHER – We scoffed 3 of the pasties last night. I could not be bothered making pasties, pies, casseroles, unless I produced 3 or 4 meals worth. 

CLARE – Glad you & Limpy could get out. Fair enough to have restrictions but, for goodness sake, make them clear! When Melbourne had their lockdown, there was a 5 km limit.

Dau sent photo of Trio painting their sun-catchers (our Xmas gift) after spending the morning making a marble run in sandpit. She is looking forward to some sort of peace Wed next week (back to school).

Most of my day has been a Nothing Much Day. . . Another early zap this morn; later phone checkup from Doc. With all the exposure I’ve had to scans, MRI, Xrays, etc, I like today’s thought.

• Just a thought

It’s lovely to know that the world can’t interfere with the inside of your head. (Frank McCourt)

• AQ - An excellent 'thought' - thank goodness for that!
  • LOL! Pat!

Good Morning. Good to know that you are still on schedule with your appointments, AQ. We are all complaining that there has been no real definition of "local" here, which can be interpreted in many ways. There has been a famous case of two women who drove 5 miles, in separate cars, to go for a walk and a chat together, in a country park. They came back to the car park to find so many police cars that they thought there might have been a murder! They were fined £200 each for breaking the rules, but after a big furore, they were finally let off. (One of them lives alone and was suffering as no human contact and found that this once a week break was a lifeline)

I agree with the cookery - if making casseroles etc I nearly always make at least double, which lets me off from cooking another day. We freeze big batches of spagh. bolognese which is a really good quick meal another time. I bought myself a big non stick pan which is like a big wok with a glass lid, and I can put acres of meat and veg in it at a time. Wish I'd had one years ago!

Talking of freezers, I expect I've mentioned that early on in our marriage, in 1973, we had only been married for six months when I was told that I'd won a local competition for a big family sized deep freeze! We had no money for such things and so it was a huge thrill. Been freezing stuff ever since.
  • Its taken me ages to find my poetry in "Poetry Corner" but if you put that into the Search engine here you might just find the section its in! This Site no longer makes it easy to find things. Incidentally, there are a lot more poems on there which are well worth looking at - peoples love of birds really shines through in their words.

It was a poem entitled "EJ" and contained the lines "You fed them /guarded them with sticks, /and spread those wings in summer rain/to gently shelter them again"
  • Lindybird said:
    t was a poem entitled "EJ" and contained the lines "You fed them /guarded them with sticks, /and spread those wings in summer rain/to gently shelter them again"

https://community.rspb.org.uk/chat/f/poetry-corner/19265/osprey-poems#pifragment-4313=5

May be of help,as has been said some brilliant ones, and Lindy, you always capture the true essence in all your poems.THANK YOU

• Thank you, SunnyKate. I didn't realise actually what a lot of time had gone by since I wrote it.

Thank you so much for your clever link: I never did master the way to do one.
  • Lindybird said:
    Thank you so much for your clever link: I never did master the way to do one

@Lindy   ....that's just a straight foward COPY of the address,from address bar, at the top of the page you are looking at .so you just 'PASTE' it

Tis not a  a 'Posh link'.....CHOL:))

Just for the interest....This would be the posh link for Lind'y EJ Poem