Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 January 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a safe week, and you all find some joy. 

Sunrise through the Lodgepole Pines
Yellowstone National Park
US National Park Service NPS/Jacob W. Frank
Photo labeled public domain (copyright free). 

• Agree it's very frustrating that things aren't clearer about distances allowed, etc.

We wanted to get in the car to drive to somewhere for exercise, but darent. So in the end, decided to walk into the town for a nosey around: this meant that Bonnie missed out as some places she can' go & also, she just pulls on the lead, expecting to be let off!

We enjoyed our walk, and it didnt rain again, but my knees were aching when we got home.

Glad that Limpy enjoyed his outing.

• People were feeding bread to the gulls, in spite of notices saying it's not good for them :-(

It was bedlam- about 50 birds arrived!

• Other water fowl came rushing over to see what the fuss was!

• LINDY - Good that you got out x Poor Bonnie, though !
    I haven't walked anywhere outside for a week, may try tomorrow.

Look after those knees, my Welsh friend has decided to fork out £12.000 for a knee replacement as the NHS  waiting list in her area is now well over two years and rising :-(

• Diane-I will read it! I also hope your home is the center of your novel.
  • Don't know what makes my knees creak, Heather: the Doctor said (over the phone...) that she thought it sounded like plain old arthritis rather than the usual knee joint worn out. Will have to wait and see, I suppose, until it gets worse. Sorry about your friend, that's a lot of money.

Bonnie has had two good long walks with my OH today -he takes her around the fields nearby but I daren't go with them as its so muddy I might fall over. He says incidentally, that there are so many people locally going out into the fields that they are making all of the footpaths twice as wide as they used to be, trying to avoid the mud I suppose. People don't realise this but its not great for the farmer, who has planted crops in them and will be waiting for it all to grow in the spring. People might think it doesn't matter, but if you add up all the miles of paths, its acres of planting which will come to nothing, after his careful ploughing and planting - money gone for next season. :-(

We have been talking about how we can't plan for our summer - every time I go into our guest room, I stub my toes on two big boxes of supplies ready to go back to Wales for when we can finally open up our caravan again. We are eternally grateful for the fact that we have one, but its rather galling to have the bill to pay every January for the pitch fees, which are considerable, but then not know when we will be able to go, if at all.

We also discussed whether we think we can do what we had planned for last summer, a trip around Scotland which we have been talking about but not doing, for years. Ironically, we had decided to finally go during August last year. Of course, a visit to Loch Garten will be a must, even though its a very long way from here, but I have never been and was as excited about seeing it all as dear Margo once was. No volunteering involved in my case, but something exciting was in the offing. I never mentioned it, but way back about ten months ago I got a message from Jess Tomes who is at Loch Garten saying would I please give permission for a portion of one of my osprey poems to be printed as a part of the new Loch Garten displays within the Centre. Of course, I am thrilled and said Yes right away - they can use any or all parts of poems I've put on the Poetry Corner on this Site. Its for everyone's enjoyment. Of course, because of what's happened, the planned modernisation has had to be been put on hold, so I suppose no one has any idea of if and when it will all happen. Ho hum. Wait and see!

• Thank you Diane for starting the week, and the interesting description of homesteading. Looking forward to more about your book.

How exciting Lindy about your poem at Loch Garten! Well done. You kept quiet about that one!

There was an article in The Times today about walkers not wanting to get their smart trainers muddy, and walking all over the crops instead of the footpaths. It is certainly not great for the farmers who will lose money.. What happened to welly boots in the mud? Not fashionable enough, I suppose.
  • What a lovely start to the week Diane. Thanks for starting us off. Just seen your post further down re homesteading, very interesting.

OH had his jab today so am awaiting my callup, hopefully in the next week or two. Weather somewhat dull with a little sunshine but has kept dry today after some overnight rain.

AQ - please to hear the grandkids have passed their swimming goals - no stopping them now, real water babies.. Mmm, those pasties sound delicious.

Clare - hope you and Limpy enjoyed your trip out and avoided the crowds.
  • dibnlib - how lovely, 10 red squirrels. Yes it is confusing but to me local is within a 5 mile radius , also if one is
    sensible then enjoy whatever suits you. Its going to the obvious places for relaxation and a change of scenery that can be busy. I'm sure.

Afraid I'm not getting out much as I don't drive, OH prefers to stay around the house, so just potter into the garden from time to time as I can't walk far with my gammy knee. Still we are keeping well and that is something to be thankful for.