Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 September 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SEPTEMBER EQUINOX

The equinox is Tuesday in the UK, US, and Australia!

Everyone have a safe, healthy, joyful week!!!

• You're a forthright woman ...... and I don't know how old you are.  I'm also very forthright - and on Friday I'll have been married for 21 years.

Blimey!!!!!!!!!!

• @OG

Am so sorry to read of your leg ulcer, as I have had so much experience of these with my poor Hubby, we have ONE persistent which also had BCC (Skin Cancer) alongside, so is double trouble. Doh!!

RE your elevation which I appreciate is not easy, but a useful tip that may assist.

As you want to get the blood flowing Back up the legs, when sitting try......EDIT even when feet raised,ALSO when you wake BEFORE getting out of bed.

Pull your toes/foot, up tight ,so you feel the calf muscle tightening, Hold then repeat as many times as you can.

(This acts like Bellows pushing the blood up)

and then BIG Circle your feet,both directions again gets the blood moving.

I hope they will do a DOPPLER test for you,to determine if Venous ulcer

and sadly have to say weekly compression bandage, became unbearable for hubby, though he can wear compression stockings. Doh!!!

Oh dear sorry for taking up space on your lovely threads, but really do empathise.

and maybe like Diana says, applies to me CHOL:):)

"I just realized that I gave out a lot of unsolicited advice and opinions in my last posts. I'm a bossy old woman!!!"

Take care all

• SunnyKate2 said:
    Oh dear sorry for taking up space on your lovely threads, but really do empathise.

As far as I'm concerned you and your kindly advice are more than welcome on this lovely thread.

I'm going to try your advice myself - I don't have ulcers but my feet, calves and ankles spectacularly retain fluid.  I'm hoping the problem is mainly weight-related.

• By the way, are there any curlew lovers on here?  You might want to click on this photo:

• Good morning – and Happy New Week! I hope this week sees a sensible progression into the necessary new lockdown – too much tinkering at the edges recently – the UK as a whole needs to begin a period (another three months probably) of co-operation and consistency if we are ever to beat this thing.

DIANE – thank you! And I agree cancelling this year’s bridge festival is the right move. No infection in leg. Re your later post, Your wisdom is respected and we all have free choice of what to accept or reject!

AQ – sounds like good news that part of the state got rain – hope the farmers can rebuild their stocks and lives.

ANNETTE – sounds like a busy full day yesterday – maybe you’ll sit down a bit today!

CLARE – I so agree that potential carriers of virus must be kept away from our best places! Far too many from Northern England coming over the border here and on the eastern side.

Going to do my first hour of feet up before lunch – OH is very much in control of braised beef!
  • Just seen that a second page has started - won't delay my rest - will BBL.
  • Clare Bailey said:
    s far as I'm concerned you and your kindly advice are more than welcome on this lovely thread.

Clare another good one to get the bellows working..

Stand  about 18"24" in front of say kitchen worktop.

Keep body straight , put hands on the edge,LEAN forward KEEPING your feet FLAT ( heels on the ground)

Bend your arms so your body moves down, nearer the worktop,( dont bend the body keep straight).

You must feel the calf really tighten,

This is what makes the 'Bellows work'

• Unknown said:
    I hope this week sees a sensible progression into the necessary new lockdown – too much tinkering at the edges recently – the UK as a whole needs to begin a period (another three months probably) of co-operation and consistency if we are ever to beat this thing.

I couldn't agree more.  It won't happen, though, as the relevant leaders possess ....... ahem ........ differing levels of common sense.

Unknown said:
    I so agree that potential carriers of virus must be kept away from our best places! Far too many from Northern England coming over the border here and on the eastern side.

Not so much our best places but certainly our least infected places.  

Oh, and quarantine on return from foreign travel needs to be enforced.  I've read about the unnamed person who returned to Bolton from holiday ...... failed to quarantine for the full period ....... went on a pub crawl with friends ......... oh look, Bolton has a Covid spike.

• I think that 100% cooperation is highly unlikely, OG, unfortunately. One thing I learned when working in the mental health field is that if you placed patients in a locked ward, behaviours became worse in some cases. Others seemed to feel safer.
    As a family we have adhered to guidelines. I don't have to go too far from home to observe others who have not and will not. I'm not talking about my neighbours, here !!!
  • Morning all:

Diane:  Thanks for the explanation about "Cross at a Walk."  Interesting about the negative affects of synchronicity..   Good advice re AQ's e-mails from whoever.  Thanks also for reminding us about Rosy and her OH.  I do hope we hear from her.   And still no bjane or Wendyb......

OG:  Yes, per Diane's comment, interesting to know your original instinct re the leg was on target.  Makes you wonder doesn't it?   Hope Sunny Kate's advice helps.  I forgot your tip about scheduling chores, etc., and did too much in the garden.  Usually it lightens my mood so I was trying to overdose on nature but all I got was tired and grumpy.  :-)

Heather:  I'm obviously channeling Diane today!   :-)   I was thinking the same thing about your SiL's ability to help your bro.  Do they have in-home help there?  

SunnyKate:  Yes -  Do pop in any time.  :-)   Oh by the way, recently I've seen some really colorful and 'arty' compression stockings, probably more designed for women.

Clare  Chances are I won't remember your anniversary, so congratulations now.    Are you planning anything special? What is the green stuff that the curlew is investigating? Not seaweed I presume...

Foggy here today.  Gosh, and last day of summer on Tuesday. This is 'birthday season' in our family....(not mine)

Take care everyone.