Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 September 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SEPTEMBER EQUINOX

The equinox is Tuesday in the UK, US, and Australia!

Everyone have a safe, healthy, joyful week!!!

• This time of year, I usually post a photo of one of our historic covered bridges. This year, my county's famous Covered Bridge Festival has been cancelled. The festival usually has over a million visitors from all over the world during a ten-day period. However, the county officials decided that there was just no way to enforce the wearing of masks and social distancing in such a crowd. They feared it would become a super-spreader event. I think they made the right decision, but I feel sorry for all the people whose income depended on the festival. Many are broken-hearted and some are very bitter. 

This link shows the McAllister Covered Bridge. This bridge is south of me, but it sits over the same creek that flows along my land (Little Raccoon Creek). There are seven photos. You can click the arrows on the right or left if you are interested in seeing all of them. 

I wish for physical and emotional healing to all of you who need it. Stay strong, friends. 

• DIANE – Thank you for welcoming a new week and for the link to those amazing bridges. So many events cancelled (or shrunk) this year due to Covid. If we stay safe & well it will be worthwhile.

LINDA – You are back in Wales, I see. Last night I “visited” Wales with Rob Bell, walking the railways Bangor to Penrhyn to Carnarvon. To the top of Snowdon, wonderful view of. . . mist!

Sunshine, white fluffy cloud or two this morn. There was rain; it fell in the far north of the state, Marree, Yunta. Holowiliena Station in the Flinders Ranges had its first rain for 4 years, creeks flowing & they are looking forward to restocking sheep as soon as grass grows.

Another begging email from my non-friend Don. I am wary of clicking on “unsubscribe” in case it encourages more. Maybe it will go away in 6 weeks. Meanwhile it is easy enough to hit delete.

• When does Season 2 of 2020 start? I do not like Season 1.

Remember when we were young and couldn’t wait to grow up, so we could do whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted? How’s that working out for you this year?

Got tasered picking up my friend from the airport today. Apparently security doesn’t like it when you shout “Hi Jack!”

• Diane:  Thanks for starting us off.   I worked outside all day and then went to a vigil for RBG downtown after dinner.  There were just a couple of hundred people given that it was announced late this morning and not everyone had heard about it.  But like other gatherings I've attended this year, I was encouraged by the number of young women present.  I'm just heartsick at what's going on now and even more worried. Ugh.   Anyway, love the covered bridge, especially the "Cross This Bridge at a Walk" sign. :-)   So many groups and people have been hurt by the pandemic.  I haven't written anything on coming events for the magazine for months, simply because there are none!

AQ:  I can't believe you're getting requests from the Trump Campaign.   What IS going on with them?  I've heard that former members of the administration claim that they couldn't have colluded with the Russians because they're too disorganized to, as some would say, organize a you--know-what in a brewery.   Still, they're managing to do a heckuva lot of damage for all that.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

• OG: I'm glad that your wound has been properly identified. Couldn't they treat that more aggressively? If infection is present, have you been given antibiotics? I assume you have compression bandages? I just want that to heal, dang it. Sending you good energy, my friend. 

Lindy: I'm sorry you had to miss your Crete holiday. 

AQ: I wish I could send you some cool air. The nights where I live have been quite chilly this week. I actually put my old coat on this evening. I refuse to turn the heat on and pay heating bills this early! 

Gardenbirder: I hope you are feeling well and thriving. 

Heather: I hope your brother is showing improvement. You must feel so helpless so far away. Here's my opinion (which is not even worth one U.S. penny). I think those doctors were being unrealistic by expecting your sister-in-law to help your brother navigate a staircase this early in his recovery. But...I'm just a nit-wit from Indiana. Best to you. 

Annette: The "Cross this bridge at a walk" signs are for the horses. Apparently, if horses trot across a bridge in the same rhythm, the bridge will collapse (especially if they're work horses, like shires). When military troops crossed the bridges, they were told not to march in sync, but to break formation.  :-) I don't think we had any vigils in my area, although I think Chicago did. I was thinking of you today when I heard about the So-Cal earthquake. The CNN map showed that your town was impacted. 

I hope that Rosy is okay. I know her husband was facing a difficult diagnosis. Best wishes to you, Rosy. 

• Good morning, all! It's another lovely day here and I'll soon be putting some washing out.

I've just read that people are calling for my home county (Suffolk) to be exempt from any planned lockdowns due to the second wave. Are these people mad? We may have a very low infection rate but my beautiful home county, sadly, is packed with second homes belonging to people from more dangerous areas covid-wise ..... the last thing I want is for all these people to head here due to a lack of restriction.
  • aquilareen said:
    I am wary of clicking on “unsubscribe” in case it encourages more.

Do it anyway.  You could get a hysterical response.

Alternatively, mark the sender of these as spam.

• AQ: It's very illegal for U.S. election candidates to solicit money from foreign nationals in the way you've described (those emails). Although Trump is certainly capable of all manner of illegal activity, I suspect that the emails you're receiving are a scam (not from the Trump campaign). If you click on them in any way, you might download a bunch of malware. I'd follow Clare's advice and mark them as spam or otherwise block them. I'd hate to see you get swept up in a ransomware attack or something similar.

• Unknown said:
    I suspect that the emails you're receiving are a scam (not from the Trump campaign).

Blimey, I hadn't even thought of that.

I wouldn't mind betting certain UK nationals are financially backing him, without any need for soliciting from the Fart campaign.

• I just realized that I gave out a lot of unsolicited advice and opinions in my last posts. I'm a bossy old woman!!! Now you all see why I'm divorced. LOL LOL LOL