Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 16 August 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The moon turns new (the dark moon) on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. This is a rare "Black Moon," the third new moon in a season with four new moons. Each season has three months and three new moons. When a season has four new moons, the third new moon is sometimes called a "Black Moon" in popular culture.

Everyone have a wonderful, safe, and healthy week!!!

• Thanks DIANE for new week. And thank you for info on derecho storm and for news of Cedar Rapids. No news is good news, perhaps BJANE has more important things to worry about than posting here.

OG – I found the Potato Pie movie confusing and did not enjoy it as I did the book. I Googled to learn they changed the story, truncated, omitted and just messed with it. A reminder why I rarely watch movies.

LINDA & LYNETTE – I have trouble reaching up high. OH reassured me that I wasn’t shrinking, just not as flexible to stretching.

A bleak day, intermittent rain, luckily I did not need umbrella for church. I detoured on way home to deposit some library books in the after-hours chute. I have decided to open can of soup for lunch, plus toast and a scone for after. For tea I shall exert myself and do scrambled eggs. My version includes onion, tomato, cheese, any stray veg and, if there are any bacon bits in freezer, a few

• What should you give a man who has everything? A woman to show him how to work it.

I put so much thought into your gift, it is now too late to get it.

The best gift you can give is a hug: one size fits all and no one ever minds if you return it. (Marge Piercy)

• Diane Thank you!!

AQ:  Don't like the sound of 'bleak'.  Hope tomorrow is less so.

Lindybird et al: I'm the person who reaches all the things on the top of the supermarket shelf for short people, which doesn't exclude me from achy legs, usually after I've been on a ladder (a less frequent happening).

Strange weather day here.  Started off muggy, overcast and very still ('no chance of rain after 9 am' said the forecaster).  Around 9:30 it gets very breezy and we hear distant thunder, which gets louder and turns out to be part of an angry looking system west of us.  The storm zooms past and knocks out power to communities in the Santa Ynez Valley' lightning starts some small fires (all okay now).  Meanwhile, I added things to my To Do list.  

Have a good Sunday everyone.

• Good morning, ALL.

LINDA – I hope the mystery leg problem really is temporary – your explanation does sound likely, so not doing those high windows should have the required result, and soon I hope.

LYNETTE – a lifelong Brownie, Guide and Senior Guide ( whatever they call them now) GD#1 is a leader on the International camp next year – I believe they are still calling it the 2020camp! She has spent a number of weekends preparing for it. Have you started those exercises yet for the painful legs? I have a telephone appt with physio tomorrow – not sure what she can do on the phone – I don’t think she realises I actually can’t move a lot of the time, or that I see Orthopaedics as well as Rheumatology who referred me!

DIANE – thanks for the week and the new moon info – I must remember to file my nails before it appears – they grow faster with a waxing moon, so will soon be romping away again!

AQ – pleased I was not the only one unable to follow that film – and I hadn’t read the book. I never could stretch very high, being really short – but am grateful for the bit of extra height after a night lying down – then I start to shrink again during the day. Dull here – just occasional glimpses of sun – rain very unlikely. That scrambled egg sounds very good! We had soup followed by scones for yesterday lunch – even indulged in cream on the scones as we had bought some for today’s recipe.

ANNETTE – achy legs on a ladder sound familiar – it’s the way one braces oneself at the knees (not that I have been up a ladder for many years!) There has been a lot of very strange weather about everywhere this year – those storms near you sound vicious.

Having got it into my thick head that today is Sunday, I might start on magazine typing – I seem to have received all the handwritten contributions quite early this time. Already shucked the Peas and sliced the Runner Beans (and enough for another day too).
  • Here I am, if you've been missing me! Awoke this morning to find we had no internet, and on investigation, no cable tv either. Decided that if it was all of our local area, enough people would be on the phone to Virgin Media to complain.

Went out to our Farm Shop and picked up lots of bird food and seeds, as w e seemed to have run out. They have good birthday cards there, so also got a pretty mermaid "6 Year" one for Amber which I couldn't see anywhere else. Really I should have made her one, but I can't seem to get up the enthusiasm. When we returned home, the signal was all fixed.

My legs are easing off gradually. I think I mentioned before that although I have short legs, I have long arms, and this gives me the feeling that I can reach things. This must have meant that I would be stretching my poor old ageing leg muscles which are not used to being used these days. Lynette, I suppose it's possible you've done something similar.

AQ, love your HUGS quotes. You mentioned before that you like to put various things into your scrambled eggs: I really must try it. Have added frozen peas (cooked) in the past, and cheese.
  • Morning all:

Diane:  Don't like the sound of Dark Moon - a bit ominous   :-)   

OG:  Storms are exciting by our standards, but seriously puny compared to what they get in Diane's part of the country.    Your nail grow faster with a waxing moon?  Is that an old Scottish wive's tale?  (Not that you're an old Scottish wife!)   :-)    Have no idea what they call Brownies, etc. these days.  Whatever we called it, I'm sure it's no longer politically correct.  

We were lucky to cool down nicely last night; warm and a bit muggy today, but nowhere near as bad as the folks farther inland.   Have the soaker hose on our Chinese Pistache trees in the parkway and notice they'll be doing what the City euphemistically calls "tree work" on the street trees Tuesday (more like a chainsaw massacre).

Stay well everyone.

• Thank you DIANE
    I've been reading about the weather system that you described. Fearful stuff.
    I have read all but hope to reply tomorrow. A few things concerning me, a couple of family issues and a problem in the house. Nothing too major but likely to cost money, as always!
  • Hi Diane, Thanks for starting us off again and for the info re the moon.

Quiet day here - unfortunately no cricket due to the weather but watched part of the Grand Prix before having to turn over to watch the rugby as OH is a fan and would have been at the ground if fans were permitted.

AQ - I could never reach high up. In the past if I have been in a supermarket you can bet that what I wanted was on the top shelf and would usually ask a stranger to reach it for me if dau wasn't with me.

OG - I was a guide in my youth - wonderful organisation. Was at White City Stadium in the late 50's dressed as an early guide. Well done to your GD. Confession - haven't started them yet. One or two of them are lying on the floor - no way, as I wouldn't get up again. There are a couple I could and should be doing!!

I get fed up with all this so called racist talk - to me they seem to find racism in almost everything. Race never came into in in the Guiding movement, at least as far as I can tell. We just had the names, Brownies, Guides, and Rangers for the Girls and Cubs, Scouts, and not sure for the older boys. I know the movement has to move with the times but the principles must stay the same and teach our young folk all about togetherness, independence, and growing in confidence. Now there's a bit of a rant. Don't mind me.
  • ANNETTE – “Bleak” turned into sunny and I was able to attack more weeds.

HEATHER – Hope all is well with you {{{HUGS}}}

LYNETTE – Do start your exercises. If not on the floor, why not on a bed, it’s what I have to do. And don’t start off with the full quota – if they say do 10, try starting with 2 or 3 and add gradually each day. My theory is that a few is better than none!

Off to chemist to get OH’s pills. I’m sure if I didn’t, he would not bother taking them anymore. <sigh>

• Just a thought

A good laugh is sunshine in a house. (William Thackeray (1811-1863))