LOCH ARKAIG - AUGUST 2020 TO MARCH 2021. Highlights are Mary GK's and Geemeff's wonderful videos of the 2020 season

August is the month when we've seen the Loch Arkaig ospreys depart on their journey south. We've enjoyed watching them this year - the wonderful parenting skills of Aila and Louis, and the antics of their 3 chicks, Captain, Vera and Doddie. 

Mary GK did an absolutely wonderful video summarising the 2020 season. Thank you so much Mary! And here is Geemeff's great compilation, thank you!

2020 last dates:

Doddie JJ6 was last seen at the nest on Saturday 15th August 2020

Aila was last seen on Saturday 22nd August 2020

Captain JJ7 was last seen on Sunday 23rd August 2020

Vera JJ8 was last seen on Saturday 5 September.

An unidentified osprey was seen off camera on Sunday 6 September eating a fish. This could well have been Louis, having arrived and found no Vera around to feed.

Doddie JJ6 was videod and photographed fishing for over a fortnight at Avalon Marshes in Somerset 

Link to July 2020 thread

Link to Youtube channel

Link to Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig page/webcam feed

• Korky said "My hand is poised, unlike the rest of me. I'll add in 2018 and 2019 dates now insofar as we know them (thanks Ian and Geemeff) but 2020 dates will have to wait for The Official Pronouncements"

Mary's lovely video notwithstanding, I'll be doing a season summary after the last confirmed sighting and before the nest cam is switched off. When does this RSPB chat shut down? 

Here's the 2019 season summary I did: Talons and tantrums, feathers and fish

• Unknown said:
    MaryGK said:

It would be excellent if Mary were to add their departure dates to her first post on this thread - for posterity and for those of us (me) who easily forgets!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~oooOOOooo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sheila - It was Korky who started this thread.  

My hand is poised, unlike the rest of me. I'll add in 2018 and 2019 dates now insofar as we know them (thanks Ian and Geemeff) but 2020 dates will have to wait for The Official Pronouncements. If, as in 2019, two ospreys don't depart until September, all this wonderful information will have to be rolled into a new thread or I could just alter the title of this one?

Korky, I would be inclined to retitle this month to August/September (also keeping the reference to Mary's superb video) should the need arise. The mob has spoken! Ian

• Geemeff "When does this RSPB chat shut down?"

Although it winds down & posters may concentrate their posts on the southern hemisphere (e.g. Orange peregrine in Aus), it doesn't officially stop. Community members can continue to post to existing threads or create new threads as they wish. I would reckon this thread (as possibly the last of the 2020 season) could continue to be used until next spring (usually March) when some kind soul (Scylla, Korky, Mary or Sheila usually) will start a new thread for the first month of the 2021 season. A good example is the 2018 thread (see earlier posts today) where there were quite a number of posts made well after the last bird had been seen. Ian
  • Hi Ian, what’s the name of the thread where Scylla (I think) introduced us to that guy in Ohio’s many nests in his back garden last Autumn/Winter. Other nests or something? It would be great to see the happenings there again.
  • Yes - I believe it is. Thanks Sandra!
  • You're welcome, I hope you find the nests you're looking for :)
  • For several days when I have looked in here first thing in the morning the nest is empty so its a treat tonsee all 3 juveniles Sadly, I can't see their rings Can anybody ID them from their markings? Has Aila been fishing yet? The 2 hungry youngsters could do with a fish each as I think they are waiting in vain for the fish eater to leave any

C WT Loch Arkaig

• Video of Louis delivering fish at 06.26 - JJ6 flew in first, Louis arrived with fish, then JJ8.    

https://youtu.be/B8hSIjueEJE

• Morning all, I have had a terminal computer failure. While I get it sorted or more likely buy a new computer, my access & input will be severely limited. Ian

EDIT - empty nest