LOCH OF THE LOWES - JULY/AUGUST 2020 to end of FEBRUARY 2021

Link to may/june-2020

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the season progresses, Laddie (LM12) continues to make occasional visits to the empty webcam nest, defending his area from passing intruders.  It is hoped that both he and NC0 have a successful nest in the vicinity of the Loch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates:

21st July  - NC0 made an appearance on the nest, her first visit since 19th April 

24th July  - NC0, confirmed ring identification during a second visit to the nest

10th August  - Laddie's last appearance on the webcam nest > Here and Video by Scylla

20th August  - One chick for Laddie (LM12) and NC0 > successful-first-season-for-loch-of-the-lowes-ospreys

6th September - Probable migration date for Laddie (LM12) and the juvenile was Saturday, 29th August >

scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/2020/09/up-and-running-again/

• Sandra P said:
    15:57 Laddie and an unringed intruder onto the nest!

I took your word for the time ;)  And we hardly need a video after those supersnaps, Sandra, but I've done one anyway - not edited!  So it's the whole 9 yards Stuck out tongue

IMAGICAT

• I haven't checked all night for sounds.

05:45 approx!  A very Red Squirrel spent a few seconds on the nest:

My internet went down so I've got a lot to sort out, maybe SANDRA can get some better snaps for us :)

IMAGICAT

• Good morning Scylla and all,

Spot on with the time of Laddie's visit, the Lowes tab was open on my computer so was alerted to the chipping immediately.

What a beautiful red squirrel! No need for additional snaps, I think you've done it justice already. ThumbsupGrinning

Many thanks for both videos, super! 

• From scroll back, around 11:10, there were two Ospreys having a bit of a chase over by the dead tree, far left side of the Loch - chipping, alarm calling too. Laddie came to the nest for a matter of seconds before flying away BUT was back almost immediately, intruder followed him and it flew over the nest. He departed. Chipping/alarm calling continued for a couple of minutes after the last event. 

Osprey chase over the Loch (2 observed)

Osprey flying past the nest

Laddie's first visit. Incoming

2nd visit moments later - Laddie's flight to the nest

Unringed intruder over the nest, flew right past

The whole episode above lasted 5 minutes or so, I think

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then, later this afternoon...

15:40 Two Ravens spent about 30 minutes digging in the nest

©SWT/LotL

• Fab reporting and some wonderful wing spread captures Sandra, you should go in for Who wants to be a Millionaire, I am sure you’d win fastest finger first easily ha ha...

• Ha ha ha! Thanks Mary, to be honest, I did have to slow the LS down by half (and pause it too) to get those wing captures otherwise they'd have just been a blur! lol Laughing

• This morning's intrusion - I haven't included the pre- and post- chippings etc, for the sake us unsuspecting YouTubers ;) so it's not much over a minute long:

We had an un-osprey-like wing flicker in the top left, but it must have been, of course:

IMAGICAT

• Well done for finding the visits, Scylla - they were both so brief! Thank you!

Yes it was an osprey wing! lol Slight smile  I think it was possibly Laddie's as he appeared to be the Osprey flying back past the nest before doing a u-turn over the Loch/trees then onto the nest for his first visit.

• 23:25 Hearing distant juvenile Tawny food begging calls, maybe they'll pay a visit to the nest tonight...
  • Its an empty nest, but just check out the colour of the water.

Absolutely beautiful 

Richard B