Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 May 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe, and healthy week! And, I hope your weather is warmer than it is here! I had thick frost last night.

---------

I'm editing my post to add this link. 

I have these Carolina Wrens on my patch all year long. I also have House Wrens in the summer and Winter Wrens in the winter. Many of the wren pairs build multiple nests. I have wren nests everywhere this time of year. My parents and my ancestors all revered wrens and built houses for them. I can't dig down into the earth anywhere without finding fragments of wren houses.

• dibnlib:  I was trying to figure out the picture on that jigsaw - was it an abstract?  If so, it would be very hard to complete with only part of the whole to go by...

PatO:  What a nice treat to see a fox and a deer.   I had an unpleasant surprise when I went out to walk today and came across a dead crow by the garage door.  I've a horrible feeling he must have flown into the wire I strung between the garage roof and the trellis where the Cecile Brunner rose trailed before it was tidied up this spring.   I'll be taking it down today, though a bit like closing the stable door..... :-(  

OG: Congrats to EE on his Zoom meeting.  My niece likes to Facetime, but the rest of our family seems happy enough to  just talk on the phone.  

In addition to feeling bad about the crow, I'm annoyed with myself because Costco had some very good quality patio umbrellas for sale online.  We have two: one is good; the other is older with minor tears that I put on a discarded wooden frame when the metal one broke after flying across the garden.  I was thinking of getting a new one but dilly-dallied, thinking we'd be fine for this summer.  However, the older umbrella went for a sail around the garden yesterday in all the wind and one part of the wooden frame snapped. I went to order a new one from Costco - and I'm sure everyone knows the end of the story - they were already out of stock.  Grrrr.   I'm pretty certain we can jerry-rig a fix, but.... Grrrr again.  (I didn't realize until recently that there's jury-rig and jerry-rig, with the former originally being a nautical term but which I assumed was something akin to jury tampering.  Oh my brain is too tired.....

• It certainly looks difficult, dibnlib. I just lent my sis in law one with only 30 tiny pieces - but they are all kinds of shapes & the finished picture does not have any straight edges. The pieces are so small they're hard to get hold of!

Had a good dinner of roast lamb followed by lemon cheesecake which I'd been hoarding for a while - thought we might as well have a sort of "meal out" so we had red wine with it & then watched a film.

Decided together which lumps of which shrubs we're going to chop tomorrow as on our small garden we can't have anything getting too big. Also hoping to go & visit Sue, who is missing seeing her brother (my OH). We will sit in the garden!