Poole Harbour Osprey Project MAY to end of 2020 season

/JULYLast month's thread.

ALL PICTURES AND VIDEOS: ©PooleHarbourOspreyProject

Beautiful female, Rutland's CJ7:

The hoped-for partner for CJ7, local male LS7, has not yet appeared.  CJ has been tending the nest daily and yesterday she took everyone by surprise, producing an egg - which took us by surprise by surviving... until midnight at least ;)

IMAGICAT

• Thank you for that info, ALISON - what a lovely video, too Green heart

Great to see you, PATILY - but you'll be long gone now Grin Kissing heart

The Stock Dove returned, it was there "a long time" - I can't show you the fly-in because the stream was SO glitchy for a lot of the time yesterday, but here's some to show how curious s/he was about ???  It was very windy!

IMAGICAT

• 06 February

The sun's come out and is melting the frost:

The crow was supposed to have a quizzical expression but it's not showing up Pensive

IMAGICAT

• 08 February

S/he picked this up from around to the left and toyed with it for a while but left it behind:

IMAGICAT

• As per title, and I'm gutted Thinking

Pity it's such a dull morning.

IMAGICAT

• Initial guess, Sparrowhawk, female (or 2020 juvie?), males have a light rusty tinge to some throat and breast feathers--not sure what juveniles look like nor when they get adult plumage. With luck, Richard or someone else will help.

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    Initial guess, Sparrowhawk, female (or 2020 juvie?)

Thank you very much!  That's where I was leaning, GardenBirder, but, as so often, I couldn't find illustrations/pics that gave a close enough resemblance.  I'm sure RICHARD will know.

IMAGICAT

• I was thinking of a Merlin at first glance going by the markings, but looks far too big for that. I will opt for a 1st winter Sparrowhawk, but got a few wrong lately.

Richard B

• Thanks, Richard and Scylla, in addition to its plumage, it was its behaviour, a bit skittish and fidgety unlike the adults which seem to sit fairly still while they intently study their surroundings, that made me think it might be a young bird.

Edit:  I did wonder, too, about other raptors including Merlin, I've never seen one and when I looked at the RSPB Birds A-Z, if you can believe the drawings, it seems the markings on the front of a Merlin go the wrong direction on a Merlin while on this bird they go across the breast/tum, not vertically up and down, as it were, in the jargon!

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    I did wonder, too, about other raptors including Merlin, I've never seen one and when I looked at the RSPB Birds A-Z, if you can believe the drawings, it seems the markings on the front of a Merlin go the wrong direction on a Merlin while on this bird they go across the breast/tum, not vertically up and down, as it were, in the jargon!

Exactly what I found, GardenBirder.  (RSPB in particular is very disappointing.)

Looks like you're not wrong this time, Richard (and I don't believe you often are!)... I've had an unequivocal comment on YouTube "Juvenile sparrowhawk"... from a gamer, by the look of his few uploads, how about that?! Smile

The sun broke thru quite a lot during the morning but I had to catch this guy with his face out of the cam's shadow:

IMAGICAT

• The "Collins BTO guide to British Birds" is a very good book, with every picture being an actual photo rather than hand drawn illustrations like a lot of books.

Richard B