Poole Harbour Osprey Project MAY to end of 2020 season

• Luckily they are absent from the South of England

Richard B

• In reply to Richard G B:

Richard G B said:
    Luckily they are absent from the South of England

But we've got these threats and who can blame them feeling miffed when the intruder takes over their playpen in the spring?

Tiger's Osprey Info & World Bird Cams

Does that mean that the map on the Vincent Wildlife Trust website is wrong, Richard? Sorry, but I thought that the Trust were up to date with Pine Marten stuff. They state that "pine martens have been recorded in Shropshire and Hampshire (the New Forest)." I will enquire tomorrow when Martens were last reported there and I will be back here if they answer.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

Just done a bit of research and it seems there is a very small group in the New Forest, though very rarely seen.

There is also a report of a lone PM in the southern end of Poole Harbour at Sandbanks.

Richard B

Well done GARDENBIRDER for prompting some digging  

Richard G B said:
    Just done a bit of research

Thank you, Richard!  I'd no idea they were so far south, but given how shy they are (when they're not pouncing or thieving ;) ) I wonder if the sightings are the tip of the iceberg?

Only some corvid visits so far today - and while the deer were undeterred by the misty frosty mornings I've noticed none this morning.

Tiger's Osprey Info & World Bird Cams

Thanks, Richard. I sent an e-mail to the Vincent Wildlife Trust in the wee hours and received a standard automatic reply. Their website states, paraphrased, that they will reply whenever someone is available which means I will probably hear from them eventually! The map on their website shows that the southern population is very isolated from the rest of the UK Martens. It would be interesting to know if that is an ongoing population from time immemorial or was begun after extinction there by escapees or releases, but I imagine we will never know unless someone has done some serious historical digging to see how far back humans knew they were there. Did you come across anything about that? (Actually, it may be on the VWT site--I only searched for a map; so it is something else to do in lockdown 3 for a bit of distraction, possibly!)

Kind regards, 

Ann

• Thanks, Richard, I'll have a look.

Kind regards, 

Ann

Richard G B said:
    Pine marten footage is thought to be first Dorset sighting - BBC News

What a surprise that was, Richard!  Not the "habitat" I expected to see  

On the Poole Harbour front, I've just come across the Stock Dove at the nest yesterday but I may have a cold coming on so am going to cosset myself before going further  

EDIT - thought I'd better do it now, just in case ;)