Poole Harbour Osprey Project MAY to end of 2020 season

/JULYLast month's thread.

ALL PICTURES AND VIDEOS: ©PooleHarbourOspreyProject

Beautiful female, Rutland's CJ7:

The hoped-for partner for CJ7, local male LS7, has not yet appeared.  CJ has been tending the nest daily and yesterday she took everyone by surprise, producing an egg - which took us by surprise by surviving... until midnight at least ;)

• Just done a bit of research and it seems there is a very small group in the New Forest, though very rarely seen.

There is also a report of a lone PM in the southern end of Poole Harbour at Sandbanks.

• Well done GARDENBIRDER for prompting some digging Blush 

Unknown said:
    Just done a bit of research

Thank you, Richard!  I'd no idea they were so far south, but given how shy they are (when they're not pouncing or thieving ;) ) I wonder if the sightings are the tip of the iceberg?

Only some corvid visits so far today - and while the deer were undeterred by the misty frosty mornings I've noticed none this morning.

• Thanks, Richard. I sent an e-mail to the Vincent Wildlife Trust in the wee hours and received a standard automatic reply. Their website states, paraphrased, that they will reply whenever someone is available which means I will probably hear from them eventually! The map on their website shows that the southern population is very isolated from the rest of the UK Martens. It would be interesting to know if that is an ongoing population from time immemorial or was begun after extinction there by escapees or releases, but I imagine we will never know unless someone has done some serious historical digging to see how far back humans knew they were there. Did you come across anything about that? (Actually, it may be on the VWT site--I only searched for a map; so it is something else to do in lockdown 3 for a bit of distraction, possibly!)
  • Unknown said:
    Pine marten footage is thought to be first Dorset sighting - BBC News

What a surprise that was, Richard!  Not the "habitat" I expected to see Grin 

On the Poole Harbour front, I've just come across the Stock Dove at the nest yesterday but I may have a cold coming on so am going to cosset myself before going further Head bandage 

EDIT - thought I'd better do it now, just in case ;)

• Thanks, Scylla and Richard. Interesting links, Richard. Hope you feel better soon, Scylla. Please get a virus test if there is the slightest question as to whether or not it is the issue; hope it is just a normal cold.
  • Unknown said:
    Hope you feel better soon

I do, thank you, GARDENBIRDER!  It's very strange that 2 days running I've had this "coldy/fluy turn" and been fine after 2 paracetamols and a Strepsil and a lie-down.  I won't analyse, just be grateful Blush

We had 2 lively corvids, they were very vocal but their voices were carried away by the wind:

Then they spent a couple of minutes on the bonfire patch, joined by another:

There were more double and single visits.

That's only up to about 16:20.

• Please look after yourself Scylla, keep taking those paracetamol and rest, don't be overdoing it on here, we can wait for you to come back, rather that than you struggling along unwellThermometer face Sleeping
  • Lovely Corvid pics, Scylla. And it is good to hear you are already feeling better. Carry on with the meds, please, as Catlady says. Some time ago I mentioned somewhere on the Forum that a relative of mine used to swear by eating raw garlic (she did live to 92!). What better time to try it than during a lockdown?! Of course, you may want to have it with something else to tamp down its possible stinging-the-mouth sensation which some can suffer, almond or peanut butter or something similarly strongly flavoured and oily, perhaps. When visiting friends who were then in Barcelona many years ago, we learned that one of the starters offered in restaurants was a slice of bread, sturdy and/or toasted, then rubbed with a fresh raw garlic clove and a fresh tomato and finally sprinkled with olive oil, and it was a very yummy treat.