Poole Harbour Osprey Project MAY to end of 2020 season

/JULYLast month's thread.

ALL PICTURES AND VIDEOS: ©PooleHarbourOspreyProject

Beautiful female, Rutland's CJ7:

The hoped-for partner for CJ7, local male LS7, has not yet appeared.  CJ has been tending the nest daily and yesterday she took everyone by surprise, producing an egg - which took us by surprise by surviving... until midnight at least ;)

• Mm, yes, thanks , that certainly makes sense Tony
  • He is cutting down the Gorge.

Gorse is relatively fast growing up to a certain size, but then just slows right down, and the bushes go very "leggy" and "spindly" with the bushes seeming to die from the inside out and very little healthy green foliage.

They need to be cut down to ground level every few years (15 - 20), which then allows the bushes to regrow with new healthy foliage and much bushier, which improves the wildlife.

The gorse lined roads in the area are also managed in the same way. An old gorse bush that isn't cut back looks very unhealthy, and is not used by wildlife much.

One upside from this is that many gorse covered areas suddenly spring to life for 2 or 3 years with fantastic displays of coloured heather, which then dies back when overcome by the new gorse, only to re-emerge next gorse cut.

• Most interesting Richard - I've enjoyed learning that. Thank you
  • Unknown said:
    Most interesting Richard - I've enjoyed learning that. Thank you

I've just opened this tab to find it on the Rich Formatting page - and that's because I was going to say exactly what  you said, CIRRUS, yesterday but must have got digressed Grin

Thanks, RICHARD!

• 21 November

A little percher in the morning (when the deer didn't turn up until nearly 9 o'clock, BTW, and didn't stay long):

• It has a long tail, which really counts out Wood Lark, so probably a Meadow Pipit. I wouldn't put any money on that choice mind.
  • Unknown said:
    probably a Meadow Pipit

Well I'm blow'd!  A YouTuber (whom I can't find out anything about, he doesn't upload videos) just commented:

"Looks like a Pipit perhaps? Are Rock and Water Pipits around there?"
    So I think you must be spot-on, as usual, Richard Smiley
  • For a couple of days I've had big problems with this cam/my internet, can't be sure what the source of the problems was :(

However, what a nice surprise to find a Green Woodpecker perching for a short while at lunchtime today:

• Very quiet at this nest, as we'd expect at this time of the year - but I'm always hoping, especially for an owl or "familar face" Wink at nighttime.

About 08:00, no-one seen earlier than that:

Ths Sika deer this morning, around 10:00 - Whitey is definitely an important individual in this herd.  As it's under 2 minutes I left it "whole" and at normal speed - see the the main "herdlet" (possibly) appear in the top-right field after they disappear from the main area: