Poole Harbour Osprey Project MAY to end of 2020 season

/JULYLast month's thread.

ALL PICTURES AND VIDEOS: ©PooleHarbourOspreyProject

Beautiful female, Rutland's CJ7:

The hoped-for partner for CJ7, local male LS7, has not yet appeared.  CJ has been tending the nest daily and yesterday she took everyone by surprise, producing an egg - which took us by surprise by surviving... until midnight at least ;)

IMAGICAT

• How beautiful .... precious raven . Lovely short video Scylla, thank you
  • I am surprised how often raven are seen on or around various nests. I have always seen them in Scotland, and not been aware of them in the south, but clearly I've bee in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Yep, Sheila - I can so remember the day that in order to see a raven I'd have to climb up Great Gable or somewhere. No longer. They are even in suburbia !! I kid you not. There are a few around the housing estate where I live in Bristol !!!! I think they must have emigrated from Wales .
  • We had a Kestrel on the perch yesterday morning - it stayed for nearly 10 minutes, with just the occasional preen and quite a bit of bobbing Slight smile

In the afternoon we had a male Redstart and maybe a Willow Warbler on the nest - I've chopped out 'spaces' ruthlessly to save myself labour.  I'm keeping the video Unlisted until RICHARD or ? advises me on my title - to save myself embarrassment in this instance Wink

I can't do a satisfactory snap of the "Warbler".

For at least 4 hours from the stroke of midnight, the atmospherics ran riot.

IMAGICAT

• The atmospherics went on almost non-stop and with various patterns from midnight to 04:45.

We may have had an osprey on the campost this morning - I've amplified the (IMHO) contact call, which could hardly be heard at all in the original.  It didn't stay long, there was some scrabbling and take-off but I didn't bother you with it ;)

This is the top right of the cam view:

IMAGICAT

• Definitely an Osprey voice there, Scylla. Thanks so much for that .......... going to miss it during the winter

Beautiful Kestrel and Redstart (they so pretty. Delightful videos Scylla
  • A corvid landed on the campost @ 07:14, giving itself away by cawing several times.  It's a bit late in the season Grin but I now think I can recognise corvid cambumps... easily forgettable by next season ;)

While I was checking that I heard distant calls from one or more birds (echo-y), can anyone ID?

IMAGICAT

• Scylla, there was a probable Hobby flypast at 06.39 so that may also explain your noises.
  • Unknown said:
    Scylla, there was a probable Hobby flypast at 06.39 so that may also explain your noises.

It doesn't sound anything like the one I published above, ALISON, but thanks so much for the pointer and introducing me to the Hobby, which I'd only ever heard the name of but had never come across before.  It's so like a Kestrel but I found a BTO video and can see the shape they describe in the PH passing bird so it's probably more than probable Smiley 

IMAGICAT

• Hmm, Poole Harbour has introduced me to Nightjar and Hobby, and maybe others too that I've never met elsewhere.

Packing up time here again.

IMAGICAT