LOCH ARKAIG - The Woodland Trust - May 2020

Link to April thread

Louis arrived on the 5th April and Aila a day later. They were quickly into the old routine of making the nest cosy, stickifying, catching and eating fish, and mating of course. Three eggs were laid ON THE SAME DATES as last year - 23rd, 26th and 29th April. Last year's eggs hatched on 1 and 4 June, although egg 2 failed during hatching and was removed from the nest on 7 June. Let's hope for a healthy trio this year, although we don't want a repeat of snow on 13 May.
  • Well caught with the intruder Geemeff. Right leg Darvic and BTO. Perhaps someone has some super dooper IT kit that could make that clearer, but I certainly couldn't make anything out.
    It it wonderful seeing the pair so in control of the nest now. Definitely a case of 'it's ours, gerrrr awfff'!
  • SheilaFE said:
    Well caught with the intruder Geemeff. Right leg Darvic and BTO. Perhaps someone has some super dooper IT kit that could make that clearer, but I certainly couldn't make anything out.
    It it wonderful seeing the pair so in control of the nest now. Definitely a case of 'it's ours, gerrrr awfff'!

I think you said before Sheila (or maybe someone else) that it has been fascinating watching how L&A have matured as both themselves and parents each year since 2017. I recall in the first year it appeared that Louis didn't even seem to know the rudiments of how to mate! Ian

• 16.51, Louis comes back empty taloned. Aila voices her displeasure so Louis leaves. Ian
  • I don't think she would give up her nest so easily to a PM any more.
  • 17.43, Aila alarm calling, flapping then mantling. Ian
  • 17.58, Louis brings in a headless fish. Is that four today, what a change from a few days ago when there was only one in 24 hours. I suppose, unlike us yoomans, they catch and eat only what they need to. Ian

EDIT - 18.08, feed over, Aila goes for a flyabout, Louis is still on the nest. Aila circles around about three times, when she lands at 18.10 Louis takes the fish remains with him.

• 18.37, Louis brings fish, I assume the same one he took at 18.10 if it is he has hardly touched it. Louis flies off after a couple of minutes and eventually Aila has some of it. I am not sure she even offers any to bob, the fish is currently lying on the nest and Aila is incubating. Ian
  • Ian S said:
    17.43, Aila alarm calling, flapping then mantling. Ian

A bird was seen in the far distance, over Stick Tree, but she reacted much more strongly than I would have thought to that distant bird, was something else closer?

https://youtu.be/Lx3cM9JmfHU

• 19.01, Aila flies off and Louis comes in a couple of minutes later. Aila returns with a stick and she tucks into the fish that was lying on the nest. Ian

• SheilaFE said:
    Well caught with the intruder Geemeff. Right leg Darvic and BTO. Perhaps someone has some super dooper IT kit that could make that clearer, but I certainly couldn't make anything out.

Thank you! I tweeted more screenshots and had a look at Lachlan's Story WT clip for comparison, fairly sure it's not him from the head markings. There's been a somewhat lively debate around the merits of a second camera on WT chat, my preference for a fixed view camera looking back from Stick Tree would have let us ID the intruder..  just saying ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q-YUOB5y4g