LOCH OF THE LOWES - March 2020

2019 season summary: Laddie (LM12) arrived back from migration on Friday 15th March; Lassie (LM15) on Saturday 23rd March. Lassie laid 3 eggs on 4th, 7th and 10th April, hatching 11th, 12th and 16th May. Sadly, on 26th May the third chick died. The remaining two chicks were ringed on 26th June as follows: #1 Blue PT4 (M)* #2 Blue PT5 (M)*.  They successfully fledged and subsequently set off for their first migration on 14th/15th August. Laddie left around the same time as the youngsters and it is thought that Lassie had already started her journey south approximately 2 weeks prior.

* Updated to both being female © Uk Ospreys

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/ 

Both Ospreys (unringed) have been a breeding pair on this nest since 2015, after the iconic 'Lady' failed to return.

Laddie/Lassie identifying features (LotL Blog, April 2019 - (C) SWT/LotL) >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/2019/04/whos-on-the-nest/ 

Copyright Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes 

Looking forward to Laddie and Lassie's safe homecoming and a very successful 2020 breeding season

Laddie (LM12) arrived back to LotL at 15:33 on 21st March. Blog here>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/2020/03/lm12-is-back-at-loch-of-the-lowes/

• Thank you for all the pics an videos, Scylla.

Ok I got lost somewhere! i thought NCO had moved on and it was the ringless female Laddie was courting ?
  • Unknown said:
    Thank you for all the pics an videos, Scylla.

Ok I got lost somewhere! i thought NCO had moved on and it was the ringless female Laddie was courting ?

I can see that the quote isn't working properly, WTH?!

Are you getting confused with another nest, CIRRUS?  NC0 (zero, not the letter O) is the only female I've seen here.  Maybe I've forgotten?

Laddie has been bringing sticks 'n clumps and there've been several mating attempts, usually ending with a tip-off, as here:

She wants a fish and is currenly waiting...

As said elsewhere, I'm off for a nap.

IMAGICAT

• Lassie is nearly a week overdue. He may be left with this prima donna. Not seen her do a scrap of nest-work yet.

AND she just pecked his chin on mating. 

• Morning all
    Laddie and NC0 eyed the sky, both flew away from the nest - he went forward, she went off to the right. Back again for mating before leaving again

Super captures this morning, thank you Slight smile

©SWT/LotL

• Thanks everyone for all the updates and lovely captures. .

Mixed feelings here - I am willing Lassie to return and for NCO to move on before she gets too comfortable for there is an empty nest looking for new residents at LG but I want her to stay for Laddie should Lassie not return.
  • Good morning all, thank you for all the pics, videos & updates this morning.

Karen W said:
    Mixed feelings here - I am willing Lassie to return and for NCO to move on before she gets too comfortable for there is an empty nest looking for new residents at LG but I want her to stay for Laddie should Lassie not return.

Karen, you must have been reading my mind.

• Sorry. o looks like a Zero and I'm sure my intention was the digit . My eyesight is not good currently.And Laddie looks miserable at times (no, don't tell me I know all about the A word) and I 'am not keen for this female to get a talon hold.
  • During yesterdays intrusion I Emailed SWT and have since had a response from both Raz, the Ranger and Cherry, the Visitor Centre Assistant.
    I'm sure we have all seen the full Facebook post but I thought this from Cherry would reinforce the message.

"Hi Mike
    Thank you for your concern and support regarding the kayaker on Loch of the Lowes yesterday.
    Rest assured, despite the covid-19 lockdown and closure to the public of the Visitor Centre, measures are in place to maintain a close eye on the loch and nest, allowing a speedy response, if required."

I hope that is a reassurance to all.
  • It is indeed, thank you Mike
  • I must admit to not minding which osprey are this or any nest as long as there is a chance of healthy chicks fledging. Yours, the voice of reason. Ian
    PS - I will need to remind myself of the detachment this post suggests should Louis &/or Aila return to Loch Arkaig :)