WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) Sunday, February 23, 2020

Happy New Week all.  

Back from busy day; friend's 'celebration' of her husband's life was lovely  - she's a whizz with cameras, videos, etc, etc., and compiled a lovely video program that captured his life, interests, family, etc..   Lots of people turned out for a much-loved person.   Two other friends and I were in charge of the lunch for the family after a memorial rock (from the part of the Sierras where he hiked every year for 70 straight years!!) was placed in the church's garden.  The church group took over the post-service reception food.  I'm not only tired but stuffed to the gills!

Lindybird:  Interesting that our camellias are out tool love the daffs though - that's Springtime!

Hope all who have/are getting colds, etc., recover quickly.

Have a good Sunday!

• Still raining here, after starting at 7.00am and expected to rain until tomorrow morning! Drove through water in/on the roads this morning to get some fish to enjoy tonight. We got out our suitcases for our hols and found that the newest one, bought only last year and used once, has a big rip in the fabric covering it, so even if we tape it up, I don't suppose the case will last long (fume). Found I had packed one case with lots of stuff in readiness so I just have to decide which sweaters etc to add - it gets cool in the evenings there at this time of year.

Diane, thank you for your concern.

Must ring our son later - little Rosie has been waking often this week as she is teething - no teeth in evidence up to now!
  • Morning all:

Harelady:  That's a lovely name - and a lovely way to perhaps lessen the sadness about family losses when little Lily Katherine starts smiling at you all.

AQ:  Ha!  Our universities also rely on full-fee-paying Asian students. I'd be interested to know how the University of California would fare without those fat payments.   What a strange world.

Lindybird:  I also hope info re the virus allows you to go on the trip feeling confident.

OG: Is your lip still improving?  

Diane: I don't think I know anyone who goes to the traditional department stores anymore, but the other day friends and I were bemoaning that we don't have Sears for appliances anymore and I always liked J.C.Penneys, which I gather is closing more stores....   Frontline has just aired a program on Amazon, which I've recorded but not watched yet.   Oh and I've just started reading Catch and Kill by Ronan Farrow....

• Annette - I wonder whether the programme you have recorded on Amazon is the one that was broadcast here a few days ago? Scary … they know so much about us by so many devious means. I had never considered buying an Alexa or similar - now I wonder why anyone does! It's a real 'Big Brother'.
  • PatO:  Well, as it turns out, the program I thought I'd recorded is called "The Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos,"  No idea what happened , but I can still watch it online....

• HARELADY - what a lovely name and a lovely tribute to your daughter. My eldest daughter did the same when she had her baby, remembering her little sister.
  • Annette - No, that was not the same programme. The one I mentioned was called something like 'What Amazon Knows About You'. Very scary ...
  • Pat O said:
    Annette - No, that was not the same programme. The one I mentioned was called something like 'What Amazon Knows About You'. Very scary ...

I saw that!!  -- Very very scary. I already didn't fancy having an Alexa, but now I definitely don't want one. One of the top execs said that although he had some, he went around switching them off in every room when he wanted privacy.

I have some shoes in mind for my hols: I don't expect I'll be able to fit them all in, though, even though nowadays with feather light ones they don't weigh anything! I'll let you know what happens. My OH has been married to me for long enough, by the way, to know that if we go out in the car for more than a couple of hours, I'll slip some extra shoes into the car "just in case."

We've had a ghastly day of weather. It was just said on the TV that it's possible this will be pronounced to be the Wettest February Since Records Began. It's usually a relatively dry month.

• I feel less freaked out by Amazon than Facebook. I can't stand Mark Zuckerberg.
  • LINDA - You wrote " Found I had packed one case with lots of stuff in readiness". I just assumed that one was full of shoes LOL