Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 26 January 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

• Lynette:  Add my voice to the anti-trip-hazard chorus!  :-)

Lindybird: Hate it when I think of how wasteful society has become - where do all these old DVD players, etc. end up?  :-(   Actually, I've seen them in our local thrift shops....   good luck replacing yours.

Must get busy - lots of tiny errands and phone calls have been put off for too long..  

• We still have a video player! - But it is temperamental. We keep meaning to watch some of the many videos I couldn't bear to throw away last time I had a clear out. I've been trying to replace some of the film musicals etc with the DVD versions, since then.. If we can't play our discs, then I despair. We don't want to go onto a streaming service we might only use once in a while. It's very frustrating.
  • In reply to the question about Luna's age - she will be 3 in April and her sister Seraphina will be 9! in October. My Son has James who will be 3 in May and they have a new baby due in February,which they have been told is a girl ( I asked not to know but it slipped out!) Also they won't tell anyone the due date so the first I will know is a phone call from Son.

Re dvds and cds - my kids all laugh at me when I say Ive bought a new one - they download everything and although I have Netflix I still like to watch an old dvd now and again. Also I too have some VHS that I recorded from TV - and I keep meaning to take them to a local shop to get them transferred onto DVD as they are not available on dvd.

I have to say I'm a bit of a Luddite and think how much simpler things were when we didn't have all these machines.

Hope all are well or improving - have a good week - nearly the end of January.

• HARELADY - when you mentioned Luna, I imagined her still a baby - maybe one year old! Amazing how much time has gone by since you first mentioned her! As you say, January is nearly behind us, and the evenings are staying light noticeably later now. We only had one wet hour today, and none of the expected hail, but it has been very cold, despite the sunshine this afternoon.

About to join in a game of Trivial Pursuit now - been playing it a lot so compensate for lack of screen time. OH has been moving for all of us, and I have been reading questions to both of them to make up for various incapacities!
  • My son has a prodigious memory and TP is no longer such fun, I only have the original version.
  • We used to love TP. I wonder where our set is? It's also one of the originals. I could tell you a story about a game of that, which we played once many years ago, but you wouldn't believe me!! (Nothing to do with winning or losing!)

Harelady, dear little Luna is growing up fast. How exciting that you have a new babe due soon - do let us know when she arrives!

OG, we had some sunshine, too. My OH had to go out on an errand, so left me with the boxed ottoman still sitting in the bedroom. I got out some stout scissors/clippers, and cut off the cardboard. It was fun getting the item out of the remains! -- so I stood it up and tipped it out, really! Then I decided that the best way to get rid of the coffin like box was to take it to the top of the stairs, and let it slide down. This I did, although it made a huge sound and poor Bonnie, who had been fast asleep on her Dads chair in the sitting room, came rushing out into the hallway!!
  • Thank you DIANE for starting us off. However I would like to lodge a protest at how quickly these new weeks are appearing!

No, No, LINDA, you can’t leave us in suspense. You have to tell us the story. We’ll believe anything LOL.

I have “missed the boat” as I have yet to buy any DVDs. OH has heaps but I still have cassette tapes, CDs and, somewhere, my original collection of LPs. I can only play the CDs, alas.

OH subscribes to a TV service that seems to provide horrible movies that go BOOM, have frequent car chases and lots of screams & yells. (I shut the connecting door.) Some of our free-to-air channels have “catch-up” which I can reach on my computer. Most alas, inflict adverts, and the computer chair is not as relaxing as the lounge, hence I use it sparingly. There is not much on TV I enjoy watching. I can’t bear the unreal reality shows. Too many documentaries feature the commentator rather than the scene. And the reprise after every ad break annoys me – my attention span is longer than that!

Yesterday I spent 20 mins in garden weeding the easy-to-pull succulents that were forming a carpet. Same time gaining my dose of Vitamin D as it was not too hot. I have been out early for another weed this morn as the days are getting hotter & more humid again.

The start of a new school year today and a new school as Dau was disappointed with the previous one. Their promised music program was hardly at all and as a keen musician she wanted her children to learn the basics. Private lessons are so expensive, she has been teaching MissS the recorder in the holidays. Also previous school had a rigid policy of separating twins into different classes. Now they can be together and make new friends in their own time & development.

• AQ: LOL If I could slow down time, believe me I'd be doing it right now.

LPs are now very popular again here in the states. And some of the old ones are worth a lot of money! Don't throw any of yours away without checking. :-)
  • Annette and anyone interested: SpaceX will launch a Falcon 9 rocket carrying another 60 of those Starlink satellites to bring broadband Internet to underserved areas of the world. The launch is Wednesday at 6:06 a.m. in California and 2:06 p.m. in UK. Launch is from Cape Canaveral, Florida. They will attempt to recover the first stage. WATCH HERE

• Lindy: I'm glad you're feeling better.
    Harelady, I hope your granddaughter is better.