Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 26 January 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

• Lindybird: Not put off at all - as it is, I can't watch the show on line due to rights issues... maybe it'll come stateside at some point.
  • I just googled YouTube Monty Don American Gardens - there are lots there. Don't know whether they are the programmes you are talking about, Lindy. Might be worth exploring, Annette.
  • PatO: I was wondering about YouTube - thanks, I"ll check it out....
  • Hello and thank you Diane for beginning the week again.

OG - pleased to hear J may get his temporary glasses early week. Do hope that it all progresses well for hiim.

Heard from a very dear friend about the programmed that showed tonight on Digging up Britain - they actually went to Worsley and were concentrating on the Bridgwater Canal - its my home village although its not a village anymore but part of the Salford catchment area. Have downloaded to watch at leisure.
    Had a fall early evening yesterday, caught foot on a slight ruck in the rug in the dining room and went flat on my front. Fortunately it was the right knee that caught it along with the big toe which I think I may have broken as its quite painful and feels very much like the left one when I did that in 2017. Must look out the special shoe I had, that's if i've still got it, and see if it will do for the right foot - not a lot one can do they'd only xray at Casualty and then fit with a boot or something similar, not going to waste their time. These things come to try us but at least its not a knee or hip thats broken.

Weather has been hit and miss with rain but perhaps not too cold. although they say its going to get a bit colder. We will see.

Hope all of you are keeping free of bugs etc.
  • Good Morning. Dry and sunny here.

Lynette, sorry to hear about your fall. Do hope that perhaps you've only strained the muscles in your foot. Take it easy for a while - I suppose, as you say, it might heal itself, but I think you should still see the doctor.

My OH has gone off to dig around at the allotment, then when he returns, we might go out. I ordered a new ottoman for bedroom blanket storage and I'm keen to install it.
  • Hello all
    LYNETTE - if I remember correctly, you tripped on a rug last year? Please be careful.....
    Sorry to be bossy but it is a good idea to do a bit of risk assessment and identify potential hazards within the home. I hope that you haven't broken anything x
    LINDY- it's good to read that you are feeling a bit stronger.
    OG - it was very noble(!) of you and EE to forgo TV for J's sake. Not that there is much worth watching. I record some programmes .
  • Good morning, ALL. Sunny right now - apparently hail will only be around eleven o'clock for an hour or so.

LYNETTE - I had hoped to record the programme about the Bridgewater Canal, but OH was late setting the recorder on Saturday, and that was the one programme it missed. Apparently there is some special way of catching old programmes on ch5 - need to find it there! Sorry about your fall, and I hope the toe is not as bad as you fear. Now I am going to be even more blunt and bossy than Heather: elderly people (and yes, we do have to admit that we are) should remove ALL rugs from their homes as soon as any mobility/sight/balance issues arise! I suggest you and your OH together take a walk through your home and identify any trip hazards.

LINDA - have a good day, whether or not you go out after the muck-spreading exercise.

HEATHER - we recorded such a lot of programmes on the new recorder over the holiday, but are still watching "Seven Worlds, One planet" on the old one! J still has "Catch 22" to watch, and then we can get rid of the old machine. Greenhouse heater has been consigned to the WEEE collection this morning - they only seem to last about two years! J's eyedrops which he was supposed to use for two weeks ran out today, so we have had to ask GP for an emergency supply - we did make sure the local pharmacy has them in stock.

No plans for the day - could actually finish my letters and emails.
  • Heather, thanks for your good wishes, I do feel better every day now and hope to be my old self soon. Very glad not to find I have a chesty cough afterwards, as my OH and Sue both seem to have. My OH of course, always soldiers on and I've found that his sister is also one of those who ignores symptoms and carries on as best she can.

We went to collect the ottoman and lugged it upstairs. Whilst we were in Argos, collecting it, we tried to buy a new DVD player as ours has just 'died' on us. We were very shocked that there were so few on offer, and the one we picked out was "unavailable", so we went two doors down to Currys - an almost empty shelf was on view! We asked about it, and a young man explained that "DVDs are on their way out!!" When I pointed out that we have hundreds of the discs, like everyone else we know, he said "So do I! - But the industry has decided that they're on their way out!"

We came home empty handed and decided to look further online.

OG -- I watched "Catch 22" as I'd read the book many years ago, and it was a good series, very well done. 

• O, LINDA! Still lugging furniture about - do take care! I hope you can fit all your blankets in, to be neat and tidy upstairs now that you have completed downstairs! We were surprised that there is no built-in DVD player in our "new" recorder thingy, and we were told that people aren't using DVDs any more - so what is half our storage full of (the other half being CDs which are also sneered at these days) - it's all downloads and streaming these days.
  • I still have quite a few videos in the cupboard under the stairs ( aka Harry Potter cupboard) and must get rid of them, haven't had a machine to play them on for years. Harry Potter is my weak spot - I found an old copper kettle in there not so long ago! Plus a few tins of paint which are there so that they don't go 'off' in a cold shed or garage.