Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 January 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW (DARK) MOON!

The New Moon, the Dark Moon, is 24 January. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week! 

• Good to see a post from BJANE - I hope all is well with you - and your Daughter.

LINDA - we used to have an old dining table which started life when they married in 1945 - probably made by Grandad, and which doubled its size with a slider and a hinge. It went round all the family and was eventually known as the "nappy table" after Dau#1 used it to change her babies because she always had a bad back. I have a feeling, since it was then in various homes with J, it ended up in Dau's garage - may still be there! Sorry the cold has added to your list of symptoms - it probably had to come so you can sneeze it all away! Is it still possible to buy Vick - I know my Father swore by it, so I spent many of my early schooldays smelling of the stuff rubbed on my chest - not my feet, PAT (lol!)!

Phonecalls coming thick and fast for J. Eye person at hospital said she wants him to be able to see with both eyes together. She phoned the optician who then phoned J and he will see him tomorrow and get something temporary fixed up - cheap and cheerful because it will have to be replaced. Dr call due any minute.

OH and I will shop at M&S food this afternoon, meanwhile OH is catching up with ironing.
  • A little research tells me that people were advised to rub Vick on their feet and then cover with socks to stop night-time coughing. Some people seem to think it works, others don't. Sounds very strange to me - but, as I say quite frequently, what do I know????????
  • ANNETTE - if I understand correctly, you stood for hours at a convention? I'm lost in admiration. I watch quiz shows on TV and wonder how folk can stand still for so long!

LYNETTE - good that you got your leak fixed. Pity that you had to pay for emergency plumber, though :-(

PAT - I sometimes find out of date stuff, when you live alone it is easy to end up in that situation. I like to have certain relishes etc in my fridge and feel obliged to use them even when I don't really fancy them....
    LINDY - love your new furniture. There was a dining table here when I came which was a much loved piece but not large enough to cope with joint family meals. Thankfully, my stepson took it and still uses it, even though it doesn't really 'go' with the rest of their furniture. Our Danish friends have a wonderfully eclectic mix of antique and modern in their home both furniture and china/ glassware. It all looks fine together.
    OG - I hope that J gets temporary specs that help and reassurance about how his eyes are feeling.

Regards to ALL
  • Morning all:

OG:  Description of J's surgery made me cringe - I can imagine his eyes would be 'off' until they get over the op.  Hope his post-op condition is indeed temporary.  I think if you had someone like The Orange Menace and his cohorts busy dismantling the laws of the land, you'd be busy writing letters and looking for ways to make a difference. I'm thinking I should follow Harry and Meghan to Canada!  :-)

Lindybird/PatO;  I think you guys have me beat in the 'past-the-use-by-date' department.  I've read that spices and herbs in those small jars should be dumped after 6 months due to diminishing flavor, but I tend to be flexible on t hat. OH and I have a new problem - my granddaughter sent OH about 10 small bottles of different salsas for Xmas.  She's due here in two weeks and we need to open one or two up so it looks like we are keen to use them.   We still have some spicy mustard from her Xmas 2018 gift.  :-(   We're very boring and tend to stick to our favorites...

Heather:  No, it wasn't a convention. It was the first Women's March after Trump was inaugurated.  A local political group rented some buses (as did many other groups from other communities) and took us to Los Angeles for the event, two hours away.  We left around 7:30 a.m.  It had to let us out some blocks from the event because the streets were jam packed with people.  So many folks were in Pershing Square that nobody, but nobody could move more than a foot or so during the two hours of speeches, etc.  We were then supposed to march the one mile to City Hall, but it became a shuffle with the folks at the head of the parade reaching City Hall long before those at the back! The Starbucks en route had opened at 6.a.m. and was running out of supplies!   Still, it was a really good experience.  Tonight, our district's congressman in DC is holding a Town Hall meeting at our local high school and I'm off to that.  I'm currently watching the run-up coverage to the Impeachment Trial.  God, it's enough to send anyone's blood pressure sky high, which isn't good right now in that I have my annual physical this morning.  :-)

Take care all.

• Watch that blood pressure,,Annette! He's certainly enough to get anyone het up.

It's difficult when people give you food: sometimes its OK, but if you're really not that keen it can be embarrassing. As for spices, I tend to keep them well past their date even tho it's not recommended.

Went out this morning and stocked up on boxes of tissues, also got some Olbas Oil inhalers and a new tub of Vick - had to search for it in the supermarket as its changed its packaging since the 1990s!!!
  • Annette, I've been watching a very good series called "Monty Don's American Gardens" - Monty is one of our TV gardeners and last year he did a tour of European gardens. This time he began with some prairie gardens, which tried to show the beauty of the native plants, then he went on to tour some famous gardens in big cities, including some holiday locations such as Long Island where folks had made some unusual ones.

On to the second programme, with some gardens built by the millionaires who'd made money from the early prosperity of the USA, and had used slave labour for all the heavy work! Sobering. I think you'd enjoy it if it's repeated over there.
  • Lindybird: I'm assuming the second program will focus on the South though not necessarily the plantation gardens. What's interesting is that the slave history of those plantations (think Tara in Gone With the Wind) was never mentioned during guided tours, but now it is, apparently, to the discomfort of a few visitors who don't think it should be part of their nice day out!  It will be interesting to see if the program includes any of the west coast gardens that were planted by ranch owners in the mid-to-late 1800s. Back then, there was a lot of sea trade with China and Australia (with stopovers in Hawaii). The ships' captains would often be guests of the ranchers and would bring them seeds and plants from other countries they visited. The Moreton Bay Fig here in Santa Barbara is reckoned to be the largest of its kind in the U.S. There are quite a few of them up and down the coast.... (Moreton Bay is near Brisbane.) A seaman apparently brought the Santa Barbara seedling here in 1876 and gave it to a local girl who planted it the following year. Here are a couple of pix of it: One from a short distance: www.flickr.com/.../11890872794, but it's the second photo, which is a bit fuzzy, that gives you an idea of the size of it!! www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g33045-d2530095-i72953654-Moreton_Bay_Fig_Tree-Santa_Barbara_California.html.

We're hearing a lot of wonderful reviews about the BBC's new Seven Worlds: One Planet show, which is starting here on Saturday, with the Oz segment being moved up due to the recent catastrophe and news from there....

• Home from food shop. Rest of day free. Hey, I’ve retired - no more nanny duty when school goes back next week. I had no idea how long it would be when I agreed to mind LittleMiss while Dau had her ultrasound. 6 years 3 months hard labour and great enjoyment. I am still available for emergencies and I have offered an evening if Dau & s-i-l want a romantic night out. They may attend the Fringe Festival which starts next month.

Weather is blissfully cool. No rain in western suburbs. Grrr. I am picking tomatoes at last. Also zucchini (cougettes). Last October Dau had been given 2 zucchini plants but only had room for one in her tiny veggie patch. Mine has flourished, but hers did not survive. So I have been giving my excess, calling them surrogate zucchinis!!!

Dau#1 & s-i-l returned safely & tired from Cambodia. When asked what was her favourite of the trip, Dau said “Cambodia”. After some thought “wild otters”.

• AQ; Congratulations!  Wow. Those kiddies are that much better off for having you there for those 6 years!  What will you do with yourself?   :-)    In other news, our local zoo has started an Australia Wildlife Assistance Fund.

• Good Morning. Misty again here, but not cold for January. We both overslept today, which has probably done us good: we now start each day by asking each other about our latest ailments!

Annette, thanks for the links - that's some tree!! Monty looked at lots of gardens, too numerous for me to mention here, and some had the most wonderful avenues of trees, including oaks. I have already forgotten the names of the gardens which were the most impressive (names are no longer my strong point) but I'm sure you'll have heard of some of them. As Monty said, it's astounding what you can do when you have the enthusiasm and unlimited money to throw at a project - one of the biggest gardens was built on a swamp!  EDIT:  You'll really enjoy Seven Worlds, One Planet, it's brilliant.

AQ - Congratulations, and enjoy your retirement! You certainly deserve to sit back now after an important job well done. I remember when you told us that it was twins, and with another little one already, we could see that your daughter was going to have her work cut out! I'm sure, as Annette says, you've contributed enormously to their development. Rest now, & enjoy!