Kielder Ospreys 2020

• In reply to jaydee:

jaydee said:
    Excellent photos, Bob. As others have said, it isn't a Kielder Osprey as English and Welsh birds are colour ringed on the right leg. An unringed Osprey has also been photographed at Whittle Dene, and several reports have mentioned 2 being present. Interesting !

Two birds there today - blue ring left leg and an unringed bird. Both feeding. One day Imight just get the ring number if I'm very lucky and we get another sunny day or two.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

Great photos, Bob. A sunny day or two would be very good! Hope you can get the ring number.
  • How veryd sad that in the end chick 3 didn't make after (s)he seemed to be holding his/her own, and anoher lost at Nest 2 Am I wrong in thinking that at Kielder you seem to get more weather related deaths than at other nests?
    I shouted out loud at the goshawk near miss What a lucky escape
  • In reply to patily:

I'm sure Jaydee will supply a more official answer, but as the number of monitored nests increases the number of fatalities will appear greater.
    There are now 7 nests at Kielder so that's a lot of potential chick's.

Richard B

• In reply to patily:

Richard is right about more nests results in more fatalities. There have been a few non-weather related losses over the years here, but the majority are young ie under 14 day old chicks, and usually the youngest in a brood. Mostly it is because of prolonged exposure to wind/rain, but parental inexperience has played a part.

The nests are mostly about 350-400m ASL and the temperatures are a degree or two lower than at the water side. The wind velocity tends to be greater higher up. So we are likely to see more casualties than many other areas.
  • Thanks RICHARD and JAYDEE I know chicks will die......natural selection etc but still find it partkcularly sad That all that effort they have put into hatching/driven to survive and not to have thechance to live a life
  • So sorry to hear of the non return of EB Jaydee, this season has certainly taken its toll, so many known birds not returning.    

Good Luck to 212 - she is a good weight so I hope that stands her in good stead. 

EJ's Photo Thread    Balgavies Loch Ospreys 2020

• Sad about EB, but good news that a new female settled in quickly and bred successfully.

Richard B

• In reply to MaryGK:

MaryGK said:

So sorry to hear of the non return of EB Jaydee, this season has certainly taken its toll, so many known birds not returning.    

Good Luck to 212 - she is a good weight so I hope that stands her in good stead. 

There was extremely limited monitoring early in the season, Mary, but unless usual breeders were displaced - a little unlikely but not impossible - 3 of 12 breeding adults didn't return, a whopping 25%. Very sad.