Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 29 December 2019

HAPPY NEW YEAR and HAPPY NEW DECADE!

Photo: Aurora Borealis
U.S. Geological Survey: Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• I’m awake far too early, overnight min 27.5 C, not yet 6 am, expecting another hot windy catastrophic fire danger day. My pile of books is diminishing rapidly.

• Ah. As I read Annette's description of the poor cat, I thought of several cases I've heard of where the cat seems to behave erratically. It's a shame, but it seems usually to be some kind of dementia. Upsetting for its human family. Then I read Dianes post saying much the same.

We had a pleasant family gathering, spoiled somewhat by three of the invited arriving not just slightly late, but very late indeed....... She had timed everything to the minute, expecting everyone to arrive at 12.30, talk, and then sit down at the table at 1.00pm to eat her carefully prepared roast lamb. The 3 arrived at -- 1.40pm. Then had drinks. We sat down to almost cold vegetables, kept warm meat, and rewarmed gravy at just before 2.00pm.

I had helped to put the already overcooked veg into serving dishes, and we tried to keep everything warm but it was difficult and very upsetting. Why are people so rude as to ignore a request as to timing?
  • AQ - That's awful. I can't sleep in the heat - on one holiday I had to move outside to sleep on a balcony. That was only 30 degrees in the daytime, so I don't know what it's like there, now.

I do hope the fires abate soon. It's in our news every day.
  • LINDY - that was so impolite for the guests to arrive late when they had been informed of timing. I think that I would have started serving the meal at the original time or within ten minutes. How upsetting for the hosts.
  • Thanks, Annette. I wonder if Caleb read the earlier responses (that this forum originates in the UK) and he may not have come back to see if there are any more replies.
    Sorry to hear about various people's woes, especially AQ attempting to sleep in the heat.
    Lindy, as for turning up very late, it is a shame they did not ring to say you should start without them; sometimes traffic delays visitors, of course, but they could have contacted the hostess to say they would be late and not to wait for them--they'd be content with cold food if they could arrive at all! Mr GB is the cook for us and if we are expecting guests he never makes a main course which could suffer if the guests are late and he does not start the vegies until the guests arrive! Some of our friends are routinely late and we'd faint if they turned up on time!
  • Heather B said:
    LINDY - that was so impolite for the guests to arrive late when they had been informed of timing. I think that I would have started serving the meal at the original time or within ten minutes. How upsetting for the hosts.

The host, battling on alone, was my sis in law. She was visibly upset as she tried to save her dinner, two days in the planning & making (she made my OH, her brother, a special treat of his childhood favourite, Spotted Dick for pudding). As the latecomers were often known to be late at events, I said when we arrived that she should have told the tardy ones a different time to the rest of us. My OH shouted into the kitchen that we should get everything out of the oven and "dish it up" but we decided that that would be rude. 

Gardenbirder, you are right, it's probably best not to put the veggies on until everyone is present. I must remember that one.

• ps As you can probably tell, I was upset about it myself, but we all had to put on brave faces and try not to let it spoil things at the time. On the way home I had a shriek!!!!
  • When we hosted the ꭓmas lunch, I would say “12 for 12.30” but there was one family who was always late. The meal would be ready, buffet style everyone serves themself and the latecomers would arrive just as the last of us sat down to eat. I am nasty enough not to care if latecomers had cold food. Besides, for 20+ years we have had small children who need to eat at normal times.
    Dau#1 & OH have left their car with us as we are so close to airport; they are away for a holiday in a country NW of us. I am about to have morning nap beneath the a/c.
  • Lindybird:  I would be exasperated, but I certainly wouldn't wait if it meant ruining a special meal.  I mean, I'm assuming their car didn't get struck by a comet or something  If your SiL can stand to invite them again, she'd do well to tell them in advance she's not holding up the meal if they're late.  Grrrrr!