Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 29 December 2019

HAPPY NEW YEAR and HAPPY NEW DECADE!

Photo: Aurora Borealis
U.S. Geological Survey: Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• AQ: My CBS News online just reported that a half billion animals have died in the Australia fires, and a third of the koala population is gone. CBS is a reputable news network, but I have no idea whether they've got those statistics correct. I feel so very sorry for you, your family, and your country. I know the heat is so hard on you and your OH. I also know that the ongoing catastrophe will take a toll on the Australian economy. Hugs from me.
  • LINDY: Your poem was lovely!!! You're so talented. I hope you have a wonderful time with your family on Saturday. Safe travels.

HEATHER: Enjoy your precious time with your family! I hope you're having a good visit. 

• DIANE – We have 2 a/c going (adding to global warming), and salad again for tea. I have not seen any numbers for stock or wildlife losses apart from comments that they are large. The media is stressing the people & houses lost. In NSW alone 1365 houses destroyed, 500 damaged, since beginning of fire season (October?). The Defence Force has been called in – 3 roles – evacuate those stranded, make contact with those isolated & to clear roads. In Mallacoota there were 3000 holidaying + 1000 locals; expected 1000 off by ship today, those with health problems already taken out by helicopter – when smoke permits. Electricity & mobile phones out so satellite phones being dropped to isolated. Roads are closed by fallen trees & burning landscape. It is horrendous, many oldtimers are saying they have never seen anything like it. Here in SA (max 42) we have had a few fires today but nothing like VIC & NSW. We are awaiting the cool change but I dread what tomorrow will bring the eastern states.
  • DIANE – I found a report that University of Sydney academics estimate 480 million animals had been killed in NSW bushfires “from either the fires themselves, or the depletion of food and shelter and predation from feral cats and foxes”. Does not include insects, bats or frogs, and only includes animals killed in NSW. The death toll for animals killed in bushfires in VIC, QLD, WA, SA &Tasmania is not known.

In NSW more than 4 million hectares of land is on fire or has been burnt. This is more than four times the size of the fires which ripped through Brazil's Amazon rainforest last year.
    There are maps showing fire area superimposed over England - Birmingham to Salisbury to Dover. Or Europe – Bruges to Luxembourg.
  • Such sad and shocking statistics, AQ. My heart goes out to those who've lost their homes, but especially to the farmers who've lost everything including their livelihoods. And the poor animals - how dreadful. I see that some scientific bodies are saying that some species may have been wiped out completely, which is a huge loss.

Dry here and we are pottering around today, preparing for our journey south tomorrow. Like last year, we are late with the family presents but at least the children will enjoy having a second session of exciting parcel opening. I'm looking forward to seeing and holding little Rosie, who is now thriving - if you remember, she was born slightly prematurely and was subsequently underweight, but is now doing well.

When we return, we will spend Sunday taking down the decorations and ouch!! - chopping up our real Christmas tree to dispose of it. Another year of festivities gone already, and a new year stretches ahead.
  • Last night was pleasant, btw, we gave my late friend's OH a meal and we all talked over that and coffees afterwards: he is doing well although of course missing her dreadfully. He told us he had resolved to say 'Yes" to each and every invitation, which has proved to be interesting at times!
  • LINDY - I'm happy to hear that your friend's OH is doing well. My Welsh friend gave me the same advice about accepting any and all invitations. I chose not to as I observed that she is lonely andunhappy if she has a day with no 'engagements'. I was widowed at the age of 71 and had never ever lived alone. Home to nurses home then marriage and children. When I was first widowed at age 47 I still had two teenagers at home. So, when my (last!) OH died in 2016 I decided to work hard at learning to be happy with my own company. So, I often spend a week with no human contact but have settled into it - if you know what I mean !!!!

• Heather, I suppose that everyone is different, and you have to find the balance which suits you. I've always been fine with just my own company, and was never bothered when my OH had to be away for a night or two for work, years ago - although I did have 2 teenagers in the house at the time. I lived on my own in a bedsit for a while when I was 21, but only returned home to my parents when finances were tough. It wasn't loneliness but lack of money!

I hope you're settled into some sort of routine and are happy given the circumstances, now. Nothing can replace what you had with your dear OH, but you probably know that he would have wanted you to continue to embrace life.
  • Returning to some sort of "normal" post-Christmas. Longing to get decs down, but is in diary for Saturday, so holding out till then. Podiatrist is due this afternoon. Horribly sad reports from Australia - and other parts of the world with forest fires. And as for US in Iraq and against Iran - urghgh - what a way to start the decade!
  • Yes, I've been listening to news from Australia - and thank you AQ for your news from the front line, as it were .
    LINDY - yes, it is indeed about balance. I see my family at weekends but don't have ( or need) a huge circle of friends. My OH was much more sociable.
    OG - my Christmas trees look a little different from when they were put up (thanks, Bella!) I've enjoyed having the family from Shropshire. Millie is obviously going to be a mountaineer, tall bookcase, TV stand, table - she is off and upwards like a shot so can't really be unobserved at any time.