Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 22 December 2019

To all my dear friends on the RSPB forum:

Happy Winter Solstice and Season’s Greetings!

Tonight, I am celebrating the return of the light. The Winter Solstice marks the lengthening of the days and the homecoming of the Sun.

We are on the cusp of a new decade. In the coming new year, I hope light will triumph over darkness. I wish you all security, well-being, and contentment.

Peace, joy, and justice to all beings for 2020!

Photo: Aurora Borealis over the North Pole, Bear Lake, Alaska
Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)
GPA: U.S. Government Photo Archive

• After all my doom & gloom:-

Just before Christmas, an honest politician, a generous lawyer and Santa Claus all got into the lift at the Ritz Hotel in London. As the lift travelled from the 5th floor down to the ground level, one-by-one they noticed a £50 note lying on the lift's floor.
    Which one picked up the £50 note, and handed it in at reception?

• Santa of course . . . the other two don’t actually exist!
  • AQ - Great joke!  Glad to hear temps are dropping for a few days but not for long. Hopefully the wind will drop and the firefighters may have a chance to get on top of some of the fires.

Well I made it through the lanes to the shops - there was one tricky part where I just couldn't tell how deep the water was, so I stopped and then a car came towards me and he stopped as well - I flashed him to come and he did the same! Eventually he went for it and when the wake subsided - I held my breath and went through to and my little car made it. Thankfully that's the worse of the rain for a while in Suffolk but further North they have awful floods.

Off to get ready for work now and then just fresh veg and milk to get and then I am done.

Stay sane everyone!

• How scary, Harelady. You were brave to attempt it. Hope you can relax now.

Good Morning, and thanks to AQ for the funny joke.

Dry here. We're off to collect our turkey and to buy the last minute milk & bread. Then a good tidy up around the house!
  • AQ - Just reread your last post. Sounds like a great family day, and very sensible to only have a small gathering. My OH says let's have salad but when I put out lots of greens, he mostly eats only potato salad and a tomato!

Realise that you're away from the fires but those temps are so high, it sounds dangerous to be doing just about anything. Hope your air con holds out.

ps Santa's Chair is a huge thing!  Amber does have long legs but is not the tallest in her class at school. 

• LINDA – Tea over, washing up done, nothing on TV, so I have come to computer to watch on iview the end of several programs I have fallen asleep over last few nights. When we two are eating at home, I have solved the problem of my non-salad-eating OH by placing small serves of the various salads on his plate. He meekly eats all!
  • AQ - great joke - I guessed the answer, but still found it funny! Enjoy your "cooler" days! Glad family feast went well. Maybe we should pre-load J's plate with salad to get his five-a-day into him!

Due at optician this morning - OH already went to collect Turkey breast and extra milk. Final shop at M&S food this afternoon, not a long list, so shall just be patient and not panic among the crowds. - she blithely says!

J has just announced he is going out for breakfast - although he knows we have a grill planned for lunch. Tonight he'll say he has a headache through eating too much meat - ggrrr!
  • Good luck with keeping patient at M and S, OG. I was only passing through, thank goodness. No room to move and huge queues. Youngest says it was the same in Elgin. Everyone must be brainwashed!
    I'm up to date with all your news and chat, thank you!
  • Huge queues just for petrol at Sainsbugs, says my OH, who went to fill up cheaply before our travel over the season.

Visits, but thankfully only fleeting, from a couple of people who had not had time to drop off their cards before. I tidied up in our sitting room and moved some boxes hidden behind the sofa only to find that one contained a whole set of home made Christmas cards which I had searched for unsuccessfully a month ago.........