Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 22 December 2019

To all my dear friends on the RSPB forum:

Happy Winter Solstice and Season’s Greetings!

Tonight, I am celebrating the return of the light. The Winter Solstice marks the lengthening of the days and the homecoming of the Sun.

We are on the cusp of a new decade. In the coming new year, I hope light will triumph over darkness. I wish you all security, well-being, and contentment.

Peace, joy, and justice to all beings for 2020!

Photo: Aurora Borealis over the North Pole, Bear Lake, Alaska
Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)
GPA: U.S. Government Photo Archive

• Diane:  Thank you.   I'll second your wishes for a good decade - for the planet and for us all.

Lynette: Thanks for explaining the shorthand.  :-)

Spent the morning digging out pretty but highly invasive plants at friend's house and helping her clean up leaves.  She has a small garden but it has several deciduous trees that drop their leaves into the many potted plants and hanging baskets, behind shrubs and onto the patio where they get all caught up around chair legs, BBQs, door mats, trash bins, etc..   Lots of bending and picking up; thank heaven the trees have now dumped most of their leaves. :-)   Her late husband was an engineer who loved to be prepared for all eventualities (they still have Y2K supplies in the garage!!), so the garden includes what seems like miles and miles of irrigation tubing, just in case of what I don't know.  She'll be selling the home next summer and is downsizing everything, including the garden where she's planning to put in easy care succulents.  Planning a lazy day tomorrow and then going to meet grandson for lunch on Monday.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

• Diane, what a lovely introduction. Thank you so much. I echo your hopes for 2020, particularly may the light overcome the darkness. And may the world somehow put a stop to the madness that seems to pervade everything at the moment ...
  • "What they said"! 2020 sounds like a year to make a difference, but It needs people to do it and improve attitudes to all people and this lovely planet
  • Good Morning and thank you to Diane for starting us off with such lovely beginning to the thread.
  • Diane - Thank You for a beautiful card and start to the week. We have flooded roads again after a weekend of rain which may cause me problems as I was planning to do a food shop after Church this morning. Fingers crossed its not as bad as last week.

AQ - The fires appear not to be abating so keep safe.

I hope everyone gets through the next few days of madness - and can then relax - either with Family or on your own - I  spent a Christmas a couple of years back on my own and I was perfectly fine - its only just another day - and most of us have much more than we need and I for one, am grateful for that.

Looking forward to reading about all your festivities in a few days.

• A HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL --  Thank you for your company throughout the year, and for all your interesting posts: for those who've had a difficult time, I hope that the New Year brings health and a more peaceable time.

(My granddaughter Amber enjoying sitting in "Santa's Chair" in the town of St Albans)

• If you look carefully, you can see that she is wearing a Christmassy pair of unicorns on a headband, which she wore for the entire weekend after I gave it to her!

(Besides her snuggly earwarmers)

• Too tired to post. Mini-Xmas visit went well. Catch up tomorrow
  • Glad you and the family enjoyed, AQ - Sorry it's so hot for you to get on the pc when it's such high temps.
  • Diane - Our minister preached this morning about light coming from the darkness - the scariness of the darkness and the wonder of the light. These thoughts are obviously high on a lot of people's New Year wishes ...