Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 22 December 2019

To all my dear friends on the RSPB forum:

Happy Winter Solstice and Season’s Greetings!

Tonight, I am celebrating the return of the light. The Winter Solstice marks the lengthening of the days and the homecoming of the Sun.

We are on the cusp of a new decade. In the coming new year, I hope light will triumph over darkness. I wish you all security, well-being, and contentment.

Peace, joy, and justice to all beings for 2020!

Photo: Aurora Borealis over the North Pole, Bear Lake, Alaska
Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)
GPA: U.S. Government Photo Archive

• Diane-Lovely thoughts! Thank you
  • Thanks, Diane, for the new thread.
    Wishing Everyone here, posters and lurkers alike, a very Happy Christmas and a happy, healthy and bird-filled new year!

Kind regards, Ann

• LINDA - Amber is such an attractive child - still looks older than her years!
  • Only a babe of five, OG. One minute she is just a small child, the next she's about 27!! Certainly going to be a handful for her parents, as she is very strong willed.
  • Pat: Yup, I'm not surprised at the sermon theme. Historically, the winter solstice has been a time for reflection on hope, renewal, and the return of the light. But, I think there's a burgeoning groundswell of fear and uncertainty right now. People feel overwhelmed by the political and ecological changes worldwide.

AQ: Speaking of ecological crisis: I am so very sorry that your country is faced with such extreme temperatures and fire risk. I heard Adelaide mentioned on the BBC last night. I hope you will be safe from the fires and you and your OH can cope with the unprecedented temps. Strength to you. 

• Harelady: I hope your flooding will end and you can enjoy the holidays. That looked bad! Stay safe, my friend.

Lindy: That's a fabulous photo of Amber. She's a beautiful and expressive child! I see a bright future for her. 

Gardenbirder: Lovely to see you! I meant to say earlier that I hope you had a wonderful visit here in the states. Happy new year to you, too!!!

Heather: I hope you're enjoying your family and having a good holiday season.

• Thank you, Gardenbirder, for your good wishes. I hope you stay with us as an occasional poster, next year :-)
  • Off to bed after another busy day. 99% of my decorations up now, and some more presents wrapped, plus some new stuff ordered! Went to thank good neighbours for their keeping an eye on our house whenever we're away, and they insisted on my having a sherry with them. Also spent a good amount of time talking on phone to my late Friends OH - he is off tomorrow to spend the festivities with his daughter in the West Country.

My OH has wrapped up my present, from him. I bought it to make sure he got the right one, LOL!! (He'll pay me back for it, later!)
  • AQ: Just finished Facetime with UK niece.  She has a friend in Adelaide Hills; says they lost about 70 homes behind theirs....    I remember we were in almost the same situation after the 5th year of drought - no measurable rain, heading into a long dry summer and worried about Santana winds.   I know Oz's drought has been much longer though....really do fret for all the folks involved.   This is probably a silly question, but are folks encouraged to have defensive space around their homes there the way they do here?  What do the building codes say about roofs, eaves, etc.?  

Meanwhile, it's been pouring with rain here since 11 this morning, and niece reports minor flooding in her neck of the woods (Newport Pagnell).  

Take care all.

• ANNETTE –  Cudlee Creek fire – now 86 houses, 500 outbuildings, 200+ cars, several vineyards lost, many vines & orchards damaged, 1 man dead, another badly injured, several fire trucks lost. Yes, people are encouraged to clear around houses. Some install sprinkler systems. But this fire was no match for such puny efforts. It was ferocious. Temp was high 40s, strong northerly winds. Many oldies said they had never seen anything like it. People are rallying around, bakery supplied free good at weekend, hotel free beer. Stacks of clothes, toiletries donated. And the fire is not yet contained although we have had some cooler days (mid 20s). By next weekend up to 40 again.

DIANE, HARELADY, LINDA – Thank you for your thoughts & concern. We should be safe as we live in a beachside suburb and I avoid any travelling in summer.

Our mini-Xmas lunch went well. Cold meat, salad with a shop-bought pudding that was just passable. Memo - next time make some sweets myself. A panic when I came home from church to prepare salad. Now the Little People like cucumber, ham, cucumber, cheese, cucumber. . . and I had forgotten to pick up any cucumber with my shopping. A quick trip to local small supermarket, a good thing it was not Xmas Day when it would be closed. I had potato salad, cole slaw, tomatoes, besides the cuc. Over lunch MissL was so relaxed and told us important things with expressive rolling of eyes. MissJ ate as much everyone else. Where does she put it? After the meal they were showing off their exercises on lounge floor. Look I can touch my head with my toes. Finally they attacked the parcels, each keeping her pile neatly separate. The gifts I purchased from Dau and the books were most popular. Dau snoozed on lounge, the 2 OHs took Trio to playground, and I washed & wiped dishes. Much easier with 7 rather than 17. Dau woke to clear up paper & packaging mess (earlier she had quickly put leftovers in containers in fridge).

LINDA - That child can't be 5.