'FORUM FRIENDS, WILDLIFE-FROM-WHEREVER' (Off-season, all cams off at Loch Garten)

OK I'll start this off. Czech Republic jays and a red squirrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsXWkp1_BM

• Thanks Scylla for your continued huge effort to give us something different, my what beautiful birds there are here and lovely colours, not forgetting the flying squirrel and others.

• Unknown said:
    it is the Pileated Woodpecker which is large

And here it was!

• Ruffed Grouse at the Boreal feeder:

Ruffed Grouse info

Tail of Ruffed Grouse (I'll be looking out for a nice portrait):

This cam is far less busy than any others we've looked at lately.  On this 05 December morning, apart from the Ruffed Grouse and Hairy Woodpecker above, there were the Blue and Canada Jays and Red-breasted Nutchatch, those 3 being the most frequent... plus Black-capped Chickadee and what might have been a corvid on the ground.

Another wonderful surprise!  Bright and calm Pine Grosbeaks!

Can't be resisted:

As you would expect ;)  And there were many more blue peanut pinchers:

This one didn't even perch, it just disappeared:

And a second time just the same! What's putting it off?

Oh!  This was the third time!

Afternoon

Was this the Common Redpoll turned up again but without its red spot so maybe a female?

The little ones are still coming in but often they flit in 'n out fleetingly and I only see the seeds move - this one was in 'n out in less than 2 frames, I swear!

I hope the flying squirrel doesn't mind the nightlights but they're very pretty:

• Really terrific Scylla. So well done, thank you
  • Wonderful, Scylla! The Pine Grosbeaks are soooo beautiful. Both the Pileated WP and the Ruffed Grouse are very shy birds (or perhaps I am wrong about that!) I cannot imagine them coming to a feeder. I wonder if that feeder is out in woodland away from homes...
  • Unknown said:
    Both the Pileated WP and the Ruffed Grouse are very shy birds (or perhaps I am wrong about that!) I cannot imagine them coming to a feeder. I wonder if that feeder is out in woodland away from homes...

The Pileated was at Sapsucker Woods, I think that's quite wild.

The Ruffed Grouse feeder is "Boreal, Ontario" in a big back yard.  I was reading about one who liked to play at bullfighting with a man and his red baseball cap - but it was an exceptionally friendly bird.

• I thought that the Sapsucker Woods rain rivaled Poole Harbour's but it turned out to be snow Grin

A Flying Squirrel took advantage of a lull:

Mid-morning, seed trays scraped out, emptied, refilled - that's a lake or river behind - need to read more about it, eventually:

A lot of the birds here are the same as those found at the Ohio feeders, except I haven't seen a Pileated Woodpecker there - and I haven't seen one here either since the one I posted - there's been a Red-bellied and these (whom I'm having nothing more to do with because I can't see them well enough to differentiate Hairy/Downy):

• A very shortie from Ohio - otherwise, that night there were only rabbits and one opossum:

Bright-ears Heart eyes 

No, they're not all like that:

• ©CornellLab, Boreal, Ontario

The Christmas lights switched off @ 01:26.

No f-squirrel seen overnight, and there were no morning birds before 08:00 when the nuthatch and Canada jay almost tied.  The C-jay is a very frequent visitor, here it was testing (what I presume to be) the "peanut butter suet in a homemade hanging log":

Cornell have made a list of nearly 100 common feeder birds (and what they like to eat) but the Canada Jay isn't there!

EDIT - Yes it is!  They're calling it a Gray Jay and this is their picture:

https://feederwatch.org/learn/common-feeder-birds/

Easy to see the length and shape of this Hairy Woodpecker's beak:

I was willing a Ruffed Grouse to come along, the snow background would have been so friendly to a clear outline - but no such luck.

The Christmas lights came on @ 16:26.

Sapsucker Woods

TWO flying squirrels at the same time!  Lord knows why one leapt up the feeder tube a couple of times:

• Flying squirrel ! well, I still think it looks like a flying mouse and the woodpecker did well to scrutinize the very suspicious looking snowman. Very naff feeder tray spy (ha ha) anyone could see it was more interested in stuffing itself and keeping the birds at bay.

Thanks Scylla -framed C jay pic very striking