Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 15 September 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY HARVEST MOON!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

• Ended up dozing in the garden, with my OH doing likewise in the sun. Unfortunately, it all ended with Bonnie blotting her copy book again: She has had A Bad Spell over the last few days.

When we got back from Wales, she managed to need to be washed twice in one day on Wednesday! Then yesterday, she needed washing again. Then she ran off whilst they were in the fields, as on their way to their walk, she'd seen a cat in a garden. My OH came home alone, to prop open the garden gate in case she came home by herself, then set off to look for her. He met a neighbour in a nearby road who said he'd seen her jumping over a high fence. Then he found her wandering in the next road. (Which has through traffic on it).

Today, she started digging up the lawn whilst we were all enjoying the garden. We shouted at her, and locked her in the house. Later, when she was let out again, she dug up the lawn in a different place! (Back to inside the house......)
  • Oh, dear, Lindy. Bonnie has outdone herself lately. I'm glad she wasn't lost or hit by traffic. I don't envy you trying to keep her in hand.
  • Annette: I'm glad you won't be reluctant to do your usual whale watching duty. You're right that attacks by mountain lions are exceedingly rare, and usually happen only when some other factor is present (for example, the animal is sick or starving).

I watched the four videos showing the two mountain lions. I have a big screen (I use a large smart TV for my computer monitor), so I was able to see them fairly clearly. I saw the links on the National Park Service press release.  The fourth video, showing the uncollared male, is very short. Here's a direct link to that one, in case anyone wants to watch it. I agree with you; I get chills seeing these magnificent animals running around in residential districts!

Here's a surveillance camera photo of the uncollared male who chased P-61. He was protecting his territory. I think he looks healthy.

National Park Service Photo
    NPS photos are public domain (copyright free)

www.facebook.com/.../

• Stunning picture of the mountain lion Diane. Yes, he does look well nourished!

Bonnie does seem to be taxing your patience LINDY. Do dogs eventually grow out of doing challenging things?
    I forget how old Bonnie is now. I hope tomorrow is more peaceful for you. One more sunny day for cuppa's in the garden I think. In your case I think I would need something stronger!
  • Rosy, we were saying to someone only the other day that Bonnie was so much calmer now, since she passed four years old - we were told by someone when she was a puppy that we only had four years to go! She will be five at around Christmastime.

We sat in the garden and said that there might only be tomorrow left when we could get the chairs out, as next week looks to be showery.

• LINDA – Dau’s dog has been cured of most of his bad habits since she & he attended dog school. Is it too late for Bonnie?

I hope HEATHER is having a great time in Wales.

ANNETTE – I would not fancy having large cats roaming our streets. I did see a report of a koala that wandered into a bottle shop. Obviously didn’t fancy any of the alcohol on sale as s/he wandered out the back door.

Our changeable weather.  Dust storms one day, overcast the next. Now, washing day, it is raining. <sigh> Minimum wash and to hang in garage until whenever. Dau cancelled nanny duty this week as she did not want me to catch her latest cold. She was off to Doc. Tomorrow I have another bus trip, just one day, to Wirrabara to see their silo art and historical stuff. It will be my 6th silo art. Photos eventually! I’m still processing Eyre Peninsula.

I forgot to mention that I posted my pics of Coonalpyn silo art a few days ago. It was the first in our state. Very different to the others. It features 5 local children aged 5-9 years, two of them “drawing” on the silo. Coonalpyn, 200 km south of Adelaide, is on the main highway to our South-East and to Victoria. It provides a stopping point for travellers to break their journey for coffee, lunch, etc. A cafe & grocery store have opened since the painting 2017.

• Lindybird:  I wonder what's going on with Bonnie - is she adolescent (hormones?) menopausal (probably not!), frustrated about Brexit?  

Diane: Those cats seem very confident loping along those streets don't they?.  I saw that last one, which was clear enough on the computer; the others were pretty blurry...

AQ:  I love those silo kids.  Are the images painted from photos?  They're so realistic....  Have a good trip and we'll look forward to more silos.   How's the rainfall total?  Anything more than a dent?

• Annette and all: THIS IS WHY those mountain lions can wander around residential areas unnoticed. LOL!!! Nobody's aware of what's going on around them. LOL!!!

• Diane: I've seen that and it is a RIOT!!!
  • DIANE – That couple haven’t even the excuse of ears plugged into an i-thingie or eyes glued to their phone.

ANNETTE – The artist spent a week talking with & photo-ing locals. During a workshop at the school, the children were “asked to create figurative drawings of themselves on small-scale interpretations of the town’s silos”. Choosing 5 children, using photos as reference, he drew a giant grid onto the face of the silos & sprayed paint to create the design. More here. Also 4 min video of Coonalpyn + interview with artist.