OFF-SEASON OBS - LOCH GARTEN - September 2019-February 2020

I'm not doing a post-mortem of the LG 2019 season.

Here's to a colourful, action-packed off-season - but the cam needs repositioning and cleaning.  MIKE ??? !!! ;-D

03 September!

As KORKY may have retired in despair (I nearly did myself!), here is An Animal's Guide to Britain.

(Originally posted by IAN and reposted by KORKY here with comments Slight smile ) 

• Big catchup this morning, must remember to split it or I'll get sent to Moventry.  (I know that doesn't work but I've said it now.)

I thought this was a lovely pose:

Then I saw this one:

Then I saw lots of nice ones, the GSW can be very obliging in the right light.

• It took a long time to find a suitable Blue Tit:

This squirrel wedged the feeder cock-eyed yesterday:

I wasn't going to do any Cresties, and there've been plenty of them - but this one was last at the feeder last night so here's the best view s/he gave us:

Spider with super-skinny legs:

I should have snapped the slim fly-like insects that crawl/flit on the trunk every night - they've not been there these past few nights - does that mean a change of season?

• Well, as I said! I've seen a GSW doing nothing for ages LOTS of times so thought nothing of it! It certainly has more to do than just 'guarding' the feeder too. But I don't know what , yet :)
  • Just a boring old crestie :-))

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Unknown said:
    Well, as I said! I've seen a GSW doing nothing for ages LOTS of times so thought nothing of it! It certainly has more to do than just 'guarding' the feeder too. But I don't know what , yet :)

I expect I've never noticed it before because I'm always scrolling thru recordings at a very fast pace, so Wendy's real-time video was a surprise :)

• Bird Guides Mag reports a huge influx of Siskins in Norfolk - haste ye north, birdies! Grin

• I accidentally started thru the 15th again, I'll ditch it now:

16th - Squirrel was first, gorgeous!

It came around from the back, between the feeder and the tree, and just dangled there for a few moments, its front paws are completely free :-*

Then see who it kept waiting - the Crestie gave up and it was a Coalie who turned up next, after daycam.  This was very frustrating because I couldn't get optimal poses from both critters at the same time - of course! ;)

•   

A bit different:

Squirrel kept GSW waiting so long it nearly fell asleep on the perch:

So many Cresties, I weakened in the end:

This morning a Coal Tit was first in, pre daycam - it flitted in and out so fast (or maybe it was a new bird each time?) I didn't get good shots of it.

Here's hoping for someone new and different to turn up soon :)  Is anyone likely to? ... Besides the Siskins we hope?

• Wonderful frames ! thank you Scylla
  • I forgot to point out that the second frame was a gone-wrong one, CIRRUS - you can always tell if there are stripes ;)

No frame here, for 2 rear views and a nifty nut-nick (I know peanuts aren't nuts!):

G'night!