MANTON BAY – AUGUST 2019

Link to previous thread:   Manton Bay – July 2019

The season so far:   Maya arrived back 14 March and Blue 33(11) on 23 March.  Maya laid 4 eggs 2, 5, 8 and 11 April hatching 11, 11, 13 and 17 May.   The four chicks were ringed on 21 June as follows: #1 Blue 054 (F), #2 Blue 055 (M), #3 Blue 056 (M) and #4 Blue 057 (F).   Further details of their vital statistics can be found here. 055 aged 53 days fledged first on 3 July followed by 054 aged 54 days on 4 July then 056 aged 53 days on 5 July and finally 057 aged 55 days fledged on 11 July.

August has now arrived and the migration window opens.  Maya and 33(11) have done a fantastic job raising these four beautiful young ospreys ensuring they have had the best start in life  to undertake their first migration.  So until such times they go their independent ways and head off south, enjoy!

Link to Webcam\Copyright:  © Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Whoever it was, guessing some female Juvenile, gone now.

Kind regards, Ann

• Juvenile now tucking into a fish. I missed the delivery.

Kind regards, Ann

• Hard to read the ring number but I thought it said 056. 057 is trying to take her share now
  • Thanks, Sandra. Wish I could read the rings or tell the difference between birds, though I hope I'm getting the hang of telling male and female Juveniles apart!

Kind regards, Ann

• Some snaps

057 took over (left)

Copyright Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Unknown said:
    Thanks, Sandra. Wish I could read the rings or tell the difference between birds, though I hope I'm getting the hang of telling male and female Juveniles apart!

I've used a magnifying glass, Ann! lol

I'm sure the ring was 056. It did eat with gusto!

It flew off just before the night cam kicked in leaving 057 eating on the nest

Copyright Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Thanks, Everyone.
    Sandra, Clever you but I do not have access to a magnifying glass just at the moment unfortunately! But I'm happy to know it was 056 because we visited the Manton Bay nest today and at one point we did see 3 Juveniles. We arrived at the Waderscrape hide about mid- afternoon. When we arrived, Maya was on what appears to be her favourite perch, the T-perch to the left of the nest as viewed from the Waderscrape hide and she was facing away from the nest. There were two juveniles perched about half-way up in the large Poplar trees on the far bank and 33 was perched in another large tree in another group of trees a bit farther along the shore from the trees in which the 2 Juvies were perched. He, too, was facing away from the nest and from his family. At one point two Juveniles were flying around together but there was still one Juvenile perched in the Poplar tree. Not sure where that 3rd Juvie came from. They were too far away to read ring numbers, so we were unable to tell if the 3rd Juvenile was 056 or a visiting Juvenile from another nest. However, neither adult seemed bothered about the 3rd Juvenile but I do not know if that means it was their chick or if they were just not bothered by an intruding Juvenile. We left before the late afternoon fish delivery in Karen's capture and video from 5.03 PM, but 33 did bring a live fish back to the fallen Poplar tree well over an hour before Karen's 5.03 PM fish delivery pics. He immediately began eating the head. 33 must have caught that fish in only a few minutes because only a few minutes before he appeared on the fallen tree with the fish, we had seen him perched in the far large tree! Don't know if anyone else in the hide saw 33 leave to go fishing. It may be that he just dropped down from the tree onto a fish and then flew to the fallen Poplar tree. We were watching the Juveniles at the time. Perhaps someone else who was in the hide will tell us. In any event, it was fabulous to see 5 Ospreys together in the bay.

Kind regards, Ann

• What an exciting and very interesting day you've had, Ann, thank you for sharing,

I'm hoping Karen can confirm 056's head markings for us but I'm pretty sure I saw the end '6' in between pixelation! lol :)

• Fingers crossed that it was 056, Sandra!

Kind regards, Ann

• Gardenbirder and Sandra - thanks for all the updates and captures.  And Gardenbirder, thanks for the report of today's activities - what a lovely day you have had and I am so pleased you saw the family.  

I agree with Sandra, it was 056 that appeared around 08:20 - he is still here :-)     He has arrow head marking but it is his chest marking for when the colour shows it has a sort of lattice effect (055 is more spotted and 057 is dark).  It really showed in the capture I posted on last night's family portrait and same again tonight.  My brother also snapped some captures tonight for me when I was out and I've been sieving thru them as well :-)       

Here is one showing the lattice  -  056 @ 08:20 

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust