LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - AUGUST 2019

Link to July 2019 thread 

The 2 chicks were ringed on 4 July and assessed as female. They were given ring numbers JJ0 and JJ2, and later named by popular vote as Mallie and Rannoch. Both weighed 1.49kg on ringing but will weigh a lot more now after a further month's-worth of protein-packed-piscine-parenting.  The WT subsequently said they thought Mallie may be male. S/he fledged on 20 July and Rannoch on 27 July.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• Louis did well this morning first fish to Blue JJ0 at around 05.12 then in under 10 minutes he returned with another fish for Blue JJ2 , two very happy girls this morning
  • This is Blue JJ2 eating the fish that Blue JJ0 had left behind - Blue JJ2 had already eaten a whole fish herself :)
  • Aila on the nest and soliticig Walking around and calling
    Do we know whether she has been fishing for herself? And she has flown
  • Aila on the nest and soliticig Walking around and calling
  • patily said:
    Aila on the nest and soliticig Walking around and calling

====================================

I think this  (a short vid) was the only time I may have found evidence of Aila fishing for herself, PATILY :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULHvzIsjGzE

CATCHUP

What a happy morning - Louis brought 2 fish in quick succession, I think the pitiful sight of fishless Rannoch inspired him ;-)  Then Mallie left nearly half of hers on the nest and Rannoch had that too !!!  (As already reported by VALERIE, thank you :) )

Mallie's fish:

Rannoch's (smaller) fish:

Rannoch got Louis's toe, he left the fish on the nest for her:

Mallie came back for what was left of his breakfish - he ate some and flew off with the tailend, returned and finished it:

Did some nestorising before flying off:

The pair spent another few minutes on the nest and flew off:

Mallie came for (mainly) a long sit-down:

Rannoch got a FISH all to herself !!!

Aila came twice, pottering and defending:

Empty nest since then.

• There's been activity while I've been busy elsewhere, currently both juvies are waiting... and waiting... on the nest.

I'm off for a few hours.
  • Intermittent yelling

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• CATCHUP

Mallie came and passed the time for 50 minutes:

After an embarrassing trip:

He flew off with some nest material:

How small s/he looks:

Oh what fun!

Thought I should do a tiny vid of the end of that session:

You'd think the tree on the left would be the "stick" tree, but I thought it was the one with branches to its right. 

Perhaps IAN can put me straight if he's here today - if not, anyone?

Mallie in again, has to defend sitting down :o

Rannoch came to support for a while:

Mallie left, still shouting:

A 5-minute visit:

My beetle went undercover and thoroughly prospected the nest, then disappeared over the far side.

A day that started out so bountiful ended barren Disappointed

• Maillie has the fish and Rannoch not a happy bunny I have had to turn the volumn down Maillie gave as good when Rannoch got too close At one point Rannoch was earing a scrap but I don't know whether she found it or pulled a small piece of the fish Rannoch has just been taking out her frustration on bedding and sticks

C WT Loch Arkaig

• 06-40 Rannoch gets tactically closer and gets the fish. Smile
    Don't know what Mallie has been playing at,,,after over an hour (given fish was delivered at 05-37)...still a good portion of fish to grab.