LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - AUGUST 2019

Link to July 2019 thread 

The 2 chicks were ringed on 4 July and assessed as female. They were given ring numbers JJ0 and JJ2, and later named by popular vote as Mallie and Rannoch. Both weighed 1.49kg on ringing but will weigh a lot more now after a further month's-worth of protein-packed-piscine-parenting.  The WT subsequently said they thought Mallie may be male. S/he fledged on 20 July and Rannoch on 27 July.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• Morning CATCUP #2

I'm leaving out all the short-visit snaps and other stuff cos it just won't copy across from Libre Office.

Louis brought Aila a FLOUNDER!  (Why so many flounders these days?)

She waited a while:

Then flew off with it but brought it back right away when Mallie landed:

Smash 'n grab:

Mallie objected when Aila stayed too long and the latter had given a couple of understated alarm chirps:

At last Rannoch turned up, wherever had she beeeen?!

She waited semi-patiently:

Attempted snatches in earlier separate post.

Did I post the video?  Here it is anyway:

I think that Rannoch has since been on 'n off the nest agitatedly... but need to take a break before checking.

• Here's what Mallie left for Rannoch - a bit of skin and tailfin :'(

That wasn't much and soon Rannoch was back on 'n off the nest, carrying nest material with her, maybe she knew there was a fish somewhere - but when it arrived via Louis - a whole small flounder - he ended up leaving it on the nest for her and she didn't notice it for a little while, aww :)  Then she had to protect it and that's how I left it but I assure you she has eaten:

• Rannoch finished the flounder expertly:

There's been a mystery intruder around since shortly after Rannoch finished her fish:

Rannoch stayed down a long time, got up:

Aila flew in:

Mallie muscled in so Aila flew:

The sibs were left to it:

They left, one a while after the other.

Another break coming on here :)

• Nice surprise to see Maillie and Rannoch on the nest Are they hoping for more fish?

Perhaps it is Maillie settled down They are certainly the one who is shouting now and again

C WT Loch Arkaig

• If that was Rannoch standing, she has now flown away into the distance and Maillie shouts more persistently
  • Maillie has given up and flow off but still calling from the wings
  • It's unusual to see Mallie sitting on the nest - I don't know yet if she was preparing for something, need to see what's in the next hour.

Rannoch arrived:

They sat together in various positions until first Rannoch flew and quite a bit after so did Mallie:

Back again:

They waited 40 minutes then a FISH arrived - several kerfuffles but poor Rannoch lost out:

Just after 21:30 Aila and a juvie popped on 'n off.

Oops, I wasn't going to post a snap - but the thought occurred to me that altho it's very early, we never know when Aila's last appearance might be :o

Then, with no-one to greet him, Louis landed with a fine FISH @ 22:10:

He didn't wait long at all !!!

And that was the last time anyone was seen on the nest up to now.

I'd love to know what beetle this is - it burrows under nest material and lifts it up:

• Currently Rannoch is having a good feed from about half a fish.

© THE WOODLAND TRUST, LOCH ARKAIG OSPREY PROJECT

• Hi MIKE
    Rannoch finished the fish and flew off a minute or so ago All the time she was eating she was making those charming noises of delight