LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - AUGUST 2019

Link to July 2019 thread 

The 2 chicks were ringed on 4 July and assessed as female. They were given ring numbers JJ0 and JJ2, and later named by popular vote as Mallie and Rannoch. Both weighed 1.49kg on ringing but will weigh a lot more now after a further month's-worth of protein-packed-piscine-parenting.  The WT subsequently said they thought Mallie may be male. S/he fledged on 20 July and Rannoch on 27 July.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• She's expecting a fish any second but it keeps being an anticlimax ;)

Ooooooooooooooh !!!  WHOPPER !!!

IMAGICAT

• I waited a long time for her to start on the fish, gave up in the end.  Thank goodness she hasn't flown with it yet!

This is for Louis :-*

G'night, SYAL :)

IMAGICAT

• That was quite a whopper for our hungry Rannoch!

A sorry wet sight now

A quick scroll thru suggests no action since Louis' delivery and Rannoch's departure, as per Scylla.  It has got very dark at times with low cloud/mist and of course rain!

© The Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig OP

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• At around 15.00 Rannoch came screaming in, followed by Louis.  Both had a tail end each!  LOL.  I guess Rannoch still had her 09.00 fish, and Louis had caught another whopper, a lot of which he had eaten.

Louis flew off leaving Rannoch with her half eaten fish and his large tail end

Rannoch asked for an explanation!

She stood around for 20 minutes, looking around searching perhaps for Louis and then flew off her with half fish

16.08  While I was posting the above, Rannoch returned to claim the leftover

she keeps checking that no one is around

16.22 The stringing bit

• 16.23 Louis returned with yet another fish, and Rannoch abandons her nearly finished fish, but doesn't grab the new one.  She just calls and calls!

So what's a chap going to do?  Eat is himself!

and Rannoch calls indignantly!

Finally her eyes are bigger than her tummy and she just has to have it.  Louis shows no opposition

Louis briefly cleans his beak and flies off

16.40 Rannoch is still calling and holding on to the fish.  I can't imagine she has any room for much more!

16.43 perhaps she can find a bit of room after all!  She squeals

It's all gone a bit quiet as she tucks in

• Eventually she took the fish & Louis flew, Rannoch's noise levels haven't however abated! Ian

• 17.35, the noise level drops, that can only mean one thing, Rannoch has flown. Ian
  • 18.53, Rannoch had been on the nest for about 10 minutes with a big bit of fish still in her talons. Louis brings in a decent sized headless fish, which Rannoch swaps for the larger earlier piece. She is still on the nest with a fish in each foot, at the moment eating from the more recent delivery.although she has nibbled at the earlier one as well. Ian

• Ian S said:
    17.35, the noise level drops, that can only mean one thing, Rannoch has flown. Ian

This morning she reminded me of Bynack :-*  There's a different quality to her voice but the persistence is there :)))

IMAGICAT

• The RF has stopped working in Firefox again, had to use Chrome for the above post :(

IMAGICAT