LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - AUGUST 2019

Link to July 2019 thread 

The 2 chicks were ringed on 4 July and assessed as female. They were given ring numbers JJ0 and JJ2, and later named by popular vote as Mallie and Rannoch. Both weighed 1.49kg on ringing but will weigh a lot more now after a further month's-worth of protein-packed-piscine-parenting.  The WT subsequently said they thought Mallie may be male. S/he fledged on 20 July and Rannoch on 27 July.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• A scroll back to Scylla's last post at 0740 shows that Mallie was on the perch with Rannoch screaming on the nest.
    No sign of food.
  • 10.12, Mallie jumps down from the camera, Rannoch flies in. Louis arrives with a whole fish, which initially Rannoch gets but Mallie is very determined & grabs the fish from Rannoch, in the process also getting a hold of one of Rannoch's wings. Mallie then turns the tables on Rannoch by making it very clear it is her fish. Ian
  • 10.55, Mallie seems to have stopped eating but still has a hold of the fish, Rannoch goes for the half eaten fish, Mallie flies off leaving it behind either intentionally or not. I think Mallie returns to the camera, judging by the shouting, after a circle around. Ian

• 11.33, Rannoch is still on the nest when Louis brings in another fine (and flapping) whole fish. Rannoch manages to get it unopposed as Mallie is a fraction too late in arriving. Ian

• Both Rannoch, nearest the camera, and Mallie are onthe nest and Mallie, as she commonydoes,is shouting for fish

Where is Rannoch's fish as reported by IAN ? Surely she couldn't have eaten a arge whole fish by now

Look where Mallie has gone Haven't noticed before that there was a perch there

As I went to RF I see Rannochstill has fish tucked well under her feet but is now eating again and Mallie has flown

C WT Loch Arkaig

• Patily, the fish had been in a much more visible position, but flapped to where you saw it. I thought for a minute it was going to flap off the nest but fortunately not. Ian
  • 15.40, Louis arrives with a flounder, followed immediately by Mallie (from the camera?). Rannoch is not around so a smooth handover to Mallie. Ian

EDIT - Rannoch arrived on the nest a good bit after the fish. Mallie seemed very wary & about 15 minutes after Rannoch arrived Mallie sensibly decided to fly off with her fish.

• Rannoch eating, Mallie posing

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• CATCHUP - bare bones as my audio problem has come back because of ineptitude here :'(

First FISH of the day:

Rannoch got it:

Oh no she didn't!  Mallie was even hungrier:

Mallie kindly left some for Rannoch:

Ranoch didn't have long to wait for her own whole fish:

She ate and ate and flew with the tailend, leaving a little clump of innards behind:

Mallie later toyed with the innards:

Next up was a flounder:

Mallie came for it:

Rannoch came and waited quite a long time with no reward:

But soon after, Louis delivered a good headless fish which she beat Malllie for - she flew with most of it:

Rain rain rain.