The Scottish Ospreys from extinction to survival by Philip Brown

This is a wonderful book describing how the ospreys were first extirpated in Scotland around 1916 and then were found to return in 1954.

A number of people on the forum now have a copy so we can have a discussion about it.

Here is what the book looks like.  Its ISBN number is: 9780434089109

• ChrisyB said:

Mine arrived a week ago and I am threequarters through it, though I did skip some of the bits where they were being wiped out. Too sad. Interesting now though about the early days of conservation.

Oh great. I notice that more people have been buying! Only 19 left now. Oh I have read every word of the book more than once. Yes chapter two on the "extirpation of the osprey in Scotland" is very sad but I feel holds valuable lessons. I dare say that the Dunbars and St Johns of this world have not gone totally away. I do love the picture of an osprey nest on a rock on Loch an Iasgair, near Gairloch on page 41. I do not think any of the ospreys in Britain today build in such places. Chapter 4 of "Life of Ospreys" is quite like this chapter in many respects.

I love the picture of Loch an Eilean Castle on page 78. So many other people have posted pictures of this castle in recent times.

As always I am amazed at the things that they were wondering about then which we now take for granted today like the frustration eyries.

I am so pleased that you are reading this wonderful book.

• Alison W said:

Hi mine arrived a week ago OH ordered it from hereward books

Ah glad to hear that your treat has arrived. I am so interested in hearing your comments on it.

• Well I'm waiting for my book as well....  Bought on the spur of the moment from Abe Books after reading your recommendations.  Sounds like essential winter reading to me!  Thank you.

• Sheila S said:

Well I'm waiting for my book as well....  Bought on the spur of the moment from Abe Books after reading your recommendations.  Sounds like essential winter reading to me!  Thank you.

Oh so when did you buy yours? They are disappearing fast.

You will not regret it. It is the best book I have ever read. So full of the adventure which we now continue to enjoy ever day. Life was a lot slower back in the late fifties but I guess the ospreys were just the same.

• Had a  lie-in this morning so I am nearly through chapter 2. So sad to read people professing to be concerned that osprey numbers were dwindling but not seeming to appreciate that they are the cause.  Couldn't believe the numbers of golden eagles mentioned.  As for salving one's conscience by expecting birds to lay more eggs, well.....  I know, hindsight is 20/20 vision and conservation is higher up the agenda now.

Terry in Cumbria

• TerryM    Yes it has a surreal quality about it. Yes some of the writing from over 100 years ago was very chilling indeed. We know nowadays that 22nd May is a cut off point for ospreys laying eggs in Scotland. Yet here were people taking clutches as late as May 17 on the premise that the birds would lay again. We know from the experience EJ and Henry in 2007 that second clutches are fraught with difficulty.

I will now be motivated to read this chapter again.

• hi Tiger i found chapture two upsetting not only did they steal the eggs but also shot the adult bird im now up chapter four

• Alicat   There is no doubt that Chapter 2 is a bit upsetting but then it all happened a hundred years or more ago. What is very interesting is the the ospreys in the nineteenth century were much located in the north west of Scotland as pointed out by Roy Dennis on page 53 of "life of Ospreys".

Also they often nested on rocks in water and I am not aware of any ospreys doing that  now. It almost seems that the ospreys that came back were a slightly different species.

Oh Chapter 4 is a much happier chapter with the exciting discovery of what turned out to be a frustration eyrie in the Sluggan Pass in 1955. Mind you it was still quite some time before there any eggs never mind chicks at Loch Garten. It does make for rivetting reading.

• Yes, that was interesting to see that they used to nest on rocks in the water. Has it been noticed in any other populations at all? Those we know about, on nest cams etc are all on trees or posts.
    I was glad to have visited Loch an Eilean on my trip this year, and have some nice photos of the castle, it would be great to see them on there again. 

It was amazing to read of the conditions suffered by the volunteers in those days. It cant be too nice for them now, doing overnight watches, and it is a big shame that it is still necessary.

• ChrissyB.    Yes the subject of ospreys nest on rocks in water have come up a number of times. ChloeB has a particularly dramatic example of such a nest in California. Perhaps she may be persuaded to post the picture again.