MANTON BAY – JUNE 2019

Link to previous thread:   Manton Bay – May 2019

The season so far:    Maya arrived back 14 March and Blue 33(11) on 23 March.  Maya laid 4 eggs 2, 5, 8 and 11 April hatching 11, 11, 13 and 17 May.   Maya and 33 continue to work hard to raise their young and 33 is once more proving to be an excellent provider bringing in plenty of fish to feed his family.  

Link to Webcam\Copyright:  © Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• One of the older chicks is attacking its siblings :-(

the other older chick being attacked

its quite vicious

all the chicks are in submission pose - it seems to be looking for a fight.  Meanwhile Maya is busy rearranging sticks at the side of the nest

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

33 has now landed - hopefully dad can keep it in order :-)

• Missed delivery or perhaps the fish was on the nest but the older chicks getting a top up just now

#4 soon wobbles over and gets itself in for fish and is fed along with the older chick

The older chick turns on #4 and it goes into submission

But it soon gets its head up and the older chick leaves and #4 now gets all the fish it wants 

#4 continues to scoff as much fish as it can manage :-D while the older ones admire the view

12:37  #4 now full of fish, wobbles over and joins its siblings 

• What a busy time you had last night, KAREN!  Thank you for starting all the new threads :-*

This morning there was a large leftover on the nest when 33 brought in a fresh one:

KAREN remarked:

So the chicks went to bed with no supper! They will be hungry this morning and the first feed may very well be domineered by the older chick?

Maya chose the fresh fish for first feed - and your pessimism wasn't justified, surprisingly, Karen, but I can't precisely ID the two who were up for breakfish so have done unedted video for you to have a glance thru.  If one of them was #4, you can see how well/unwell it did, for the sake of monitoring its progress.  At the point where an elder joins in, the cam froze until the feed was well over.

I made the vid Unlisted, so's not to bore uninterested parties ;)

• SCYLLA - End of month nightshift so was around.  Slept all yesterday :-)

Anyway, thanks for the vid and I don’t think I was pessimistic :)

The left over fish was the one that was delivered before 9pm last night and was in fact untouched opposed to left over as not long after Maya started feeding it to the chicks, mayhem broke out.  She stopped feeding (post here) leaving the fish at the back of the nest hence my comment they went to bed without supper and may be hungry this morning.

I never saw this morning fish delivery and the feed was in progress at 04:30 when I looked over.  I posted an update on this morning’s early feeds 07:27 (post here) that the older chicks dominated seeing an elder and #3 being fed but #4 got nothing.  The next feed at 05:15 saw #1, #2 and #3 get fish and I never saw #4 get anything however #4 was well fed at the 06:00 feed.   But this is how it seems to be – the little chick gets fed in later feeds, not the first.  

But thanks for the video, I have watched it and imo it is #3 being fed, not #4 for it remains lying down turned away from the feed.  I am just glad, after last night’s aggression, that there appears to have been none this morning.

• Maya feeding just now.   Only one of the older chicks seems interested 

I'm off for the day now  -  BFN

• A feed going on but No 4 is the victim of some aggressive pecking, I hope it’s OK. It has not been pleasant viewing.
  • JaneV said:
    A feed going on but No 4 is the victim of some aggressive pecking, I hope it’s OK. It has not been pleasant viewing.

I checked out what you reported, JANE, and it really was bad - and had been going on since well before 21:00, whenever #4 raised its head.  #3 got bashings too.

I will not be doing video, even tho there've been no freezes for quite a while !!!

On a lighter note, Spidey was out early, looming over out birds :o

• Good morning, Blue 33 just landed and took off again with what looked like a small or partially eaten fish.
  • A feed going on, I think No 4 may be at the front to the right, if so it is getting a few bites but it won’t have been much of a feed for them.