MANTON BAY – JUNE 2019

• 07:15  Another top up from Maya and once more #4 gets a few bits of fish

#4 soon turns away and joins it siblings.  All the chicks are full and now enjoying a snooze in the morning sun.

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• 33 arrives with a large stick

then tramples about placing it.      Little #4 is lying in the middle of the nest!

Yes, as the chicks get more inquisitive, the sides are now starting to go up !

33 is off again

• Good morning all. Thanks for the new thread. Page three already!

Birdies LG DU update.

• Maya now arrives with some hay.  

#4 sitting up and looking quite chubby :-)     

I keep telling myself that soon the older chicks will stop growing and then this little one will catch up 

• When out walking my dog this morning I was told a really funny joke which I’ll share as it is sort of bird related.

A young man won a million on “Who wants to be a Millionaire” but was lucky for he had one life left and had to phone a friend.   He read out the question which was “Which bird doesn’t build a nest” - a) Swallow b) Sparrow c) Cuckoo and d) Blackbird” to his friend who replied “Cuckoo”.   The young man was delighted that his friend knew the answer but asked “are you sure – how do you know?”   His friend replied “I'm 100% it’s a cuckoo that doesn’t build a nest for they live in clocks” 

• Maya standing guard over the chicks. 

I hope 33 brings a fish in soon for it is now about 3 hours since the last feed and the older ones will be getting hungry.  

• FISH

33 flies off.  One of the older chicks and #3 being fed first.   The other along with #4 remain at the back but #4 is looking

#4 makes it way and pushes into the line and gets a piece of fish

Older chicks don't look too bothered and leave #3 and #4 to be fed

10:39   #3 turns around leaving #4 alone with Maya and its getting plenty of fish 

• No 4 is doing well, like you said Karen I wonder when it will catch up in size. Is there a growth spurt and then a slow down? No idea but I’m a bit more optimistic for the small one now.
  • Could be a male so will be smaller

Richard B

• Jane - yes little #4 is doing well :-)

It is now 3 weeks since the eldest chicks hatched and #4 is 6 days younger which is really quite significant. I expect over the next few weeks they will just grow and grow as will their appetites. 33 will really have to move up a gear and I am sure he will.

I always laugh hearing them referred to as the GEMs - Giant Eating Machines. I am not sure as to when exactly they slow down but think it must be around 5 weeks for is that not when they get ringed?

It will be interesting to see if they will be able to ring #4 as it may not be fully grown.