Daily Update ~ Loch Garten Nest ~ Saturday 20th April 2019

03:35 nightcam is still on and I am sure many have great anticipation and hope that today's viewing will confirm what some suspected yesterday - that we are indeed witnessing what could be the dawn of a new era at this amazing nest. Will the female we saw yesterday return? Will she be able to attract the attention of a worthy suitor? Time will tell. Some, but not all questions we have may be answered today.

• Thank you, bold CRINGER, for starting the first DU of the season :)  I've finished of the old thread for you *sarky mare, me*.

x

• TIME TEST.

Edit - My minute is the same as the post time, that's encouraging :)

• This morning's audio

A little bird tweets on the nest, then wot CRinger heard plus extra sounds - not the sounds that EJ would have made, and I think that the final one you hear is the fly-off, altho indistinct:

Then the distant Osprey calls heard by MOFFER - and I must say :o :o :o this is the best the amplify+reduce humbuzz has ever come out!

• Thanks Scylla for the sounds which all sounded so promising.

I don't know about anyone else :-) but I must say that I am a little miffed at Ms BTO not making an appearance especially when so many of us are glued to the screen.

I do hope she is still around and we see her again soon.
  • Hi everyone Relaxed

Thanks for starting the first Daily Update of 2019, CRinger..Thanks to my fellow Ospreyholics for the updates etc. I wonder if our new feathered friend will pop in to say hello soon. I sincerely hope so.
  • I was around for an hour this morning, wrote a post and forgot to actually post it. Watch'n and hop'n. I see the beautiful Ms BTO (love it Karen!) has let our expectations down badly. Can one assume she already has a nest of her own, given how relaxed and confident she appeared. Was LG a convenient place to rest for a while and catch a fish. Does she actually live fairly close-by and know where to fish! So many questions remain unanswered!
  • Afternoon all! I think we can only conjecture on what we have seen and ponder as Sheila has just done. If Ms BTO does have a nest of her own then I doubt very much she had a male there yesterday, if so, she shouldn't be doing any fishing. It's possible she might have another nest, popped over here to 'sus' the situation and if her male returned this morning I doubt we will see her again. However. the more I listen to Scylla's most recent amazing recording the more I think that Moffer was correct. If so, then it is not beyond the bounds of possibilities that Ms BTO has been perched close to the nest out of camera shot and saw a male with a fish. Individuals develop their own favourite perches and it often takes hours of study to discover where they are. Just because she hasn't landed on the nest or camera tree doesn't mean to say that she has not been there today and may be there right now. The first may know is a sudden landing on the nest seemingly 'out of nowhere'. I live in hope.
  • scylla said:

Thank you, bold CRINGER, for starting the first DU of the season :)  I've finished of the old thread for you *sarky mare, me*.

x

Many apologies dear Scylla. The excitement of starting a thread for the first time in eons got the better of me!

• The chirrups I heard we’re between 5.30am and 7.15.
  • Hey guys, little update from the centre today. We did not see the return of the mystery bird from yesterday. Staff were divided on if it was a male osprey waiting with fish for a female or if it was a female happily resting and sunning herself in the hope of a partner turning up. We ran an easter egg hunt in the centre and it was a beautifully sunny day with lots of families visiting the forest. We had a lone osprey fly over the nest but no one could say for certain if it was the same one. We will have to see what tomorrow brings.