Daily Update ~ Loch Garten Nest ~ Saturday 20th April 2019

03:35 nightcam is still on and I am sure many have great anticipation and hope that today's viewing will confirm what some suspected yesterday - that we are indeed witnessing what could be the dawn of a new era at this amazing nest. Will the female we saw yesterday return? Will she be able to attract the attention of a worthy suitor? Time will tell. Some, but not all questions we have may be answered today.

• Thank you for starting the first Daily Update thread of the season, CRinger. No doubt we'll be glued to the screen to see the BTO ringed female again and hopefully a worthy suitor for her. I would love to see her doing some housework, the nest needs some TLC.

2019 LG Daily Summary - March - May

• 5:58 large wing flaps close to microphone
  • In reply to Birdie Num Num:

Hi birdie or anyone really- as I’m a relative osprey novice and blonde into the bargain lol could anyone tell me what a BTO ring is?? Thank you x
  • Hello Andrea
    Here are two links, to explain BTO Rings and also the Blue Darvic Rings
    These explain much better than I.

ukospreys.uk/darvic-rings.htm

www.bto.org/.../about
    Ringing generates information on the survival, productivity and movements of birds, helping us to understand why populations are changing.

• Morning All - thanks CRinger for starting the new DU on what could very well be the dawn of a new era. I am hopeful and more so reading you heard the wing flaps earlier.

Many questions and much excitement ahead - I can't wait on the VC opening and for the cam person to get back into action.
  • Small bird record - I think that is the stonechat making a fleeting visit.

CRinger thank you for the thread, I thought I heard Osprey chirrups earlier but not quite sure.
  • I only heard flaps close to the microphone once. The 'new' female was perched on the camera tree yesterday for about 3 hours I think. It may be that she is still there now and will only jump on the nest if she sees a male. Alternatively she may have glided away and be off fishing. The 3rd possibility is it was a crow that perched for a while. Hope you are right about the Osprey chirrups!
  • Morning all. I also heard wing flaps and it sounded like someone was on the nest cam post at about 6am.

Cam has moved

and back

• Cam on the move :-)

Edit:   and back to nest view as Moffer's capture above.

• Good Morning all
    Another gorgeous stunning day up here in the highlands just checking in for any of our girl from yesterday activity hope you’re all fine :)