Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 February 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a peaceful, safe week. 

Happy Birthday to Annette! 

Rose art labeled "Public Domain," copyright free (click on "License" to verify)

• AQ:  I've said it before and I'll say it again: Your daughter is very lucky to have you around!   Ms. D has two bookcases overflowing with books.  No iPad or iPhone and nothing like that on the horizon if her Mom (my granddaughter) has anything to say about it - at least for a while.  STEM is big here too.

Off to bed. Have a good Thursday all.

• AQ: Wow! That's a very impressive program. Well done, Australia! I read all about it on that website. Your country's children get good benefit from that project. The pre-school pack books were adorable. Here in the Rust Belt U.S., the government won't even get the lead out of the drinking water in some of our schools. Thanks for the info!

Annette is right. Your grandchildren are very lucky to have you, and you'll have a profound effect on their lives.

I've always been a voracious reader, too. My parents encouraged reading. They were politically active, and they instilled in me that we had to be responsible citizens, read the newspaper and books, watch the news, and care about the world and justice. My Dad was a union autoworker on the night shift. Every day after lunch, he read the newspaper. I nagged my Mom to teach me to read, and by the time I was 5, I would sit with my Dad in the big rocking chair and read the paper with him. I still have vivid memories of discussing all the major news events of the early 1960s: the Cuban Missile Crisis, all the political conventions, the struggle for civil rights, the assassination of John F. Kennedy...

• Toothache has to be one of the worst pains. Hate to have a tooth extracted, but needs must. So glad you are feeling better. We are treating ourselves to lunch at Rocpool today, then on to my yearly eye test.
  • Ramp arrived this morning. Assembled by lunchtime! Walked down it and was pushed up it in the wheelchair. A few tweaks to be made, but overall very pleased with it!

EDIT - should have said, this is OG writing!

• OG: Yay! The sky's the limit. Spring will come and you'll be out and about enjoying it. :-)
  • Goodness knows if I've done this right, I never know when I come on here, which "reply" button to press....

Just got home after an afternoon shopping and yet more charity shop donations; they were very glad of my OH's paperbacks which he had discarded, and my old typewriter - a wrench to let it go, it was the manual portable typewriter which I bought by saving up my meagre salary when I was only 20! Ho hum life goes on...
    OG - so pleased to hear that the ramp is up and er.. running! though I don't expect you are running up and down on it, which would put you straight back in the hospital. Sorry, I'm rambling. Spent a whole 2 hours sorting out papers this morning, I found I had hoarded stuff from 2011, including some copies of my poetry written for on here, which I knew I had printed out but had lost track of.

• My OH spoke to the young man next door, and he said that his girlfriend was expecting to give birth in about a week or so. It seems to have gone very quickly, but then we didn't know about the happy event until she was well on into her pregnancy.
    Nice to hear from you Dibnlib: hope you enjoyed your lunch out. Its been mixed weather here, very cold and wet this morning with high winds, but then as promised, it all died down at lunchtime and the sun came out, so we decided to venture forth on the shopping expedition - its supposed to be windy and wet again tomorrow.

• Diane, my father was a reader, too, and our house was full of books. I was reading adult books long before I knew what all the words meant! I determined that my children would have the same, and our boys were bought books for every single Christmas and birthday, and belonged to the library, too. Now they are reading to their children. I'm so pleased about that.
    We have had mention of the STEM idea here, too. And lots of encouragement to girls to become scientists and engineers.
    Sadly, a lot of our libraries have closed due to the cuts in local budgets, but some have been kept open by local people volunteering, which is very heartening.

AQ - I haven't mentioned you, as you started all this talk about books.  Glad the children are enjoying theirs. Hope you cool down soon!