Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 February 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a peaceful, safe week. 

Happy Birthday to Annette! 

Rose art labeled "Public Domain," copyright free (click on "License" to verify)

• Lindy wrote: I still can't get on here via my tablet, so it will be intermittent from me for a while, I'm afraid. (This is written on my desktop) I used to pop in several times a day on my tablet but now can only use it to read what's been posted. It flatly refuses to recognise me, so now I know how OG feels!

I too sympathise with OG and Lindy.  I cannot log into the main website at all.  The details all come up from my password manager, but the system says the p/w and email address are not compatible. Eh?  Yet I can log into the Community, using my user name, not the email address.  If I click on the Main website link, top right, I get taken to the main web site, but have to log in again - but again system doesn't like my details at all.  I have tried to explain this on 'Elliott's' recent update thread, and hope they can explain!

• OG here! This revised revised revised update is "sweary-word"! Worse than ever. Impossible to navigate - well, not impossible, but hard work! I have been trying again to use my own sign-in - now get a box to type in, but it doesn't go anywhere! Have been trying to search for any setting which might be disabled, but can't find any. One more attempt at an umpteenth email and than that's it!
  • As for omitting Diane's name from the start of the thread - no words to say how I feel about that! And the pagination is no use to anyone - I want to see latest posts when I sign in (if I sign in) not trawl through pages of history!!! Please bring back our user-friendly site!
  • From my perspective, this is like the original site with the page numbers and the newest post on the last page.  I got used to the "new" site and I'm sure I"ll get used to this version, but I do sympathize and am frustrated that some regulars aren't able to even sign on or, if they can, they're now encountering new glitches.   :-(

Diane:  Well, I certainly hope they're paying you well for such a rush job!

• I'm just replying to the last post on the latest page as before. I think....
  • Seems like the old system, I agree, ANNETTE.
    I'm so pleased that a new contract has found its way to you, DIANE!
    Front garden is now flattened, I hated watching but couldn't stop looking :-(
    AQ - hope that you coped with Nanny duty in the heat. I heard that crocs were on house drives in Townsville.
    LINDY- thinking about G xxx
  • Latest version of page is also a pain. I must be getting old & crotchetty. I see I replied to myself – I reply to the last post and if I want to “speak” to anyone in particular I type their name. The greyed “In reply to –” is waste space for me.

HEATHER – Nanny duty was fine; it was the drive home in the hottest part of the day that was not. A breakdown caused one 3-min section to take 20 mins, so whole journey was an hour with tummy rumbling. Dau had prepared chicken & veg & veg pancakes for their tea.

Kindy children have been given 4 free books – each. I fell into the trap of reading MissL’s Grug book, followed by MissJ’s identical Grug book. Both listening in! Then an Aussie alphabet book B for Bondi, K for Kakadu, N for Nullarbor, etc. Finally I read both copies of the mole book at same time. These books are to encourage STEM learning (science technology engineering maths). I didn’t see 4th book. Phew! At chore time, there was a dispute over who was to help. It was MissJ’s turn. I had to write in my diary for next week to placate MissL. Most of pm they played happily together allowing me to hang washing. They reappeared to put away their clothes when I was folding previous wash. They recognise knickers & socks, whereas I have to check sizes.

• Forgot to mention that Miss7 read to me. Only ¾ of book before it was time for Guides. I was so interested in the story of a spinning wheel being bullied by a knitting machine (!) that I sneaked a peek at rest of story. Nothing done or said about nasty one in story and spinning wheel lived happily ever after. Dau said children’s stories do not deal well with bullies or naughty children. This year Miss7 is allowed 3 readers a week instead of 5. Due to rebuilding, school library visits only once a week. So Dau & Trio visit local library often.

• AQ: I'm just curious. Are those free books that were given to the children provided by the school system? That is, does the school itself give them the books or is it some not-for-profit organization/philanthropic group? If it's the school, is that a public school (paid for by taxes) or a charter/private school (for example, a Catholic school)?

In the U.S., our schools have been so critically defunded that students don't even have text books and other basics in many places. School buildings aren't maintained well for safety and sanitation. Teachers have to pay for school supplies out of their own pockets almost everywhere. I wholeheartedly approve of your grandchildren and the other young ones being given the books. I'm just furious that education is such a low priority here in the U.S.

• DIANE - Twin’s at a public kindy, govt support for 15 hours per week; with parents to pay additional fees. (Luckily 1½ for twins not 2 full fees.) The books were distributed by the “Little Big Book Club” which appears to be supported by publishers, authors & donations. I don’t think govt is involved. Reading packs for Birth to Pre-school. The twins have the Pre-school pack – 4 books and one for parents telling them how to use them to increase science/maths. Eg Grug plays cricket. Why not measure out a cricket pitch with your child, various counting exercises. Encouraging various play/skills that Dau has already done!

Certainly in recent years there has been a push for kids to read. But as many parents don’t read and/or too busy with paid work, the kids miss out on home encouragement. One mother believes it is up to the school to teach hers to read, no need to read at home and was surprised that Dau had so many own & library books in house. BTW Twins chorused that their new books were to keep; they are so familiar with returning library books. Dau said Salvos & Op Shops will be inundated with these books in a few weeks as parents “clean up”.

I cannot imagine existing without a pile of books waiting to be read, mostly non-fiction. As well I often re-read old favourites.