The Poole Harbour Translocation Thread for 2019 - 2020

I thought I'd start a new thread ready for this years relocation, which is year 3.  Along with news of any sightings of the Translocated Ospreys from the first 2 years of the project

Carried on from last years thread HERE

Richard B

• I think Green DE was a different bird but if so she did not breed at Rutland. I am assuming the female from Argyll is the one I know as 'the Scottish female at Site O', She was described as having a BTO ring but not a colour ring (though she could have lost one).

A number of unringed females spent some time at Rutland though it appeared that the first few were just taking advantage of free fish on their spring stopover. One who looked likely to stay was known as U4 who appeared to bond with 08(97) in the summer of 2005 and actually supplied the translocated youngsters with fish. She did not reappear the next year.

There may be more since 2015. Rutland has not given much information about the other nests. I have wondered whether the 'large Scottish female' who displaced Clarach at Rutland (before she settled at Aberfoyle) was the Site O female or a new one.

Hilary J

• Unknown said:
    Tiger, Do you then mean to say that all of the other females (except for the 3 in your comment) who are nesting at/near Rutland are Rutland-hatched birds? If so, surely Roy and Tim and the others in the Poole project would see this as well, particularly because they would presumably hope, in time, to add to the number of Poole-fledged females who might then choose to nest up at Rutland as well as elsewhere. What are the chances that this year's Ospreys destined for Poole will be half males and half females?

The problem is that translocated females have a poor record of return to the release area.  Rutland's original translocation was about 75% males - similar to Poole.  3 females were known to return - 2 to Rutland and 1 to Scotland.  By 2005 the shortage of females led to a further translocation of 9 females and 2 (orphan) males.  None returned to Rutland although 2 of the Rutland born chicks of that year did so. 30(05) is still breeding.  There was a possible sighting of one of the 2005 females in Wales.

Hilary J

• Green DE (05) did not breed at Rutland but was only around for a year or so.

Vesper  you are of course entirely right about the female that bred with 3 (97) in 2001, 2002 and 2003

It is a great pity that   Red 06 (01) did not last longer as a breeding female. That could have made a big difference to the Rutland population.

Of the course the corollorary to that is that if it had not been for  3(97) and 05(00) the whole Rutland experiment might have failed. 

• Tweet from Bird of Poole Harbour - sighting of CJ7 and LS7 over Lytchett Bay

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• They are certainly have a good look round the local area.
    Hopefully one of the many platforms will take their fancy ready for next year.

Richard B

• That's wonderful news if they're bonding Hope they claim a platform before the season is over
  • There's no hurry Patily, there are plenty of available ones about.

Richard B

• Today's tweet suggests three osprey are around!

21 June 2019
    birdsofpooleharbour‏ @harbourbirds
    Wow, very interesting. Just had a call from @peterhadrill telling us there are currently THREE Osprey circling out over the Wareham Channel.
    Has LS7 got a bit of local competition from another of our returning birds? @DorsetBirdClub @timmackrill @RoyDennisWF
    10:16 AM - 21 Jun 2019

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Unknown said:
    Thanks, Alison. Any idea how many of the 2017 eight translocated Ospreys were males?

Sorry to be so long in replying but I have been away from my computer on a narrowboat holiday!

2017: of the 7 birds still alive (as far as known), 4 were male, 2 female, and 1 not sure!

2018: of the 6 birds still alive (as far as known), 3 were male, 3 female

• It was unfortunate about the problems last year. Originally it was 10 male and 4 female, so there appears to be a heavier slant towards translocating males.

Richard B