WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2018

Hallo all!

• I don't often check in, but I was sorry to hear that OG is suffering. I have every sympathy and hope all is resolved soon.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Annette: I loved your photos! 

Your niece is beautiful. She reminds me of you. Does she do yoga? She has your low center of gravity, too. 

The Gate/NeGate is a very powerful piece. Well done to the artist. I also appreciated the coyotes. Wonderful! I love those song dogs. They're also called "prairie wolves" here.

I look forward to the next batch of pics. 

Hello to everyone. I have sent OG a card via email. 

EDIT: A low center of gravity is good. It provides more balance and strength. When I was young, my uncles taught me to fight, and they showed me how to shift my center of gravity. Didn't want anyone to think I was insulting Annette's niece.

• LOL, Diane!   I think my centre of gravity is in my boots.....  my hips are certainly wider than the rest of me at the moment.

OG - Sorry you're bored. Hope you can perhaps read something. That's a long wait to see the doc.

Pat -  I like some chutneys and I eat beetroot occasionally. My OH grows beetroot and brings them home, boils them up and puts them in the fridge to eat with practically every meal. (cold).

Must get to bed: I seem to be getting later again.

• Diane: Interesting about center of gravity. Apparently, "the COG lies approximately anterior to the second sacral vertebra."  Ummm   Translated, that means it's about two inches below your navel.  Our instructor was talking about it in Tai Chi the other day and I felt like saying that my navel has gravitated downward over the years and did that mean my CoG had gone south too (so much else has!).  Niece has done Tai Chi and swims a lot; she is contemplating a change of gym (hers got very expensive). She's extremely artistic - genes that passed me by big time!

OG: When are the physio people due?

SheilaF: Always good to see you!

PatO: I used to hate beetroot, but I tried it in a salad (at a restaurant) a while back and it was really good.  Chutney works for me too (with cheese of course).  I can probably pass on the pork pie. Is your magazine published by a volunteer group?  What's the topic?

Time to think about dinner (cooking genes went AWOL too!)

• Annette: One of my uncles was in the Navy, stationed on an aircraft carrier off the coast of southeast Asia, and he studied one of the martial arts. He was a tall and slim young guy. His instructor taught him to position his body, especially his knees, so that his center of gravity shifted lower. In that posture, he was highly balanced on his feet and powerful when he was fighting. When I've seen pics of you, you always seem to be instinctively standing in that effective posture. I assumed you learned it in Yoga. But maybe you and your niece picked it up in Tai Chi, or you're just built that way. I regret that my balance is not what it used to be. 

• Diane: In Tai Chi, they do tell us to work with slightly bent knees, but I've only been doing it for about 18 months. Can't say my yoga tree pose will inspire confidence in anyone standing close by!  :-)

• Annette - It's a church magazine and published by a volunteer - me! - monthly.  It's a lot of work - like I have nothing else to do!!!!  It gives details of things that have happened, things that are going to happen, things we would like to happen … articles about members and what they are doing, and things happening in the wider world, and usually contains 24 or 28 pages.  It would really help if people would contribute rather than just tell me how good it is!  I do enjoy it, but get frustrated by the lack of input from others.  It's online as well.  I wonder how they'll cope when I'm away for four months next year?!?!?  I have lined up others to take over the practical aspects - it will be interesting to see what happens.  Perhaps they won't want to give it up and I can retire gracefully …

Have a good day, everyone.  Once it gets light I'm off to the golf course.

• Good Morning.  I thought I was early, but I see that Pat has been up and about for some time. Hope you enjoy your golf.

That sounds like a whole lot of work, doing the church magazine. 28 pages!!  Nearly a book! 

• Annette -- Beetroot has suddenly got very popular here: some sort of "healthy" vibe attached to it. It's now not unusual to find grated beetroot in your salad, and you can buy ready washed lettuce or greens with it added, too.

We watched a recording we had made of a programme all about the modernisation of China last night. I recorded it weeks ago but coincidentally this morning, there are reports that a bridge we had seen on the programme has now been opened, connecting Hong Kong to the mainland. Not only is it 33 miles long, but a whole section of it goes underground so that the large shipping can still sail through! Do go and see the descriptions of it, it's amazing.

• Lindy - Don't think you would get me on that bridge.  I don't like driving across water at the best of times, and don't like tunnels much either.  I think I would stick to the ferry - which World Service reporters overnight seemed to think most people will do, as it's very expensive to use the bridge, and they need all sorts of documentation.  When I was away last month I saw a bridge linking Sweden and Denmark.  Looked impressive, and a mere five miles long.  They must be very sure of weather conditions even to consider thirty-three miles … wonder if it will be visible when I sail into Hong Kong harbour next year?