WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, AUGUST 5 2018

Hope everyone has a good week.

• Linda - The surfing place looks impressive! I did see it signposted from the road that I was on going to Bodnant and wondered whether to have a look as you had mentioned it earlier. The earier time I went there the Laburnum arch was just going over it's best, but still looked good.

And thank you for the comment about your OH and his treatment, and to others for their mentions, it is helpful to hear that the treatment is likely to be successful. He has decided to stay at the lodging they offer for the 5 day weeks, as he does not fancy the 50 mile drive down then back on the M6 every day. I do not think I would fancy that, and would be likely to do what my mother did and use the provided hospital transport, though there is inevitably some waiting around involved with that.  

• OG - We are in the Morecambe Bay region for hospitals and anyway Carlisle is maybe 20 miles further for him, so not really any better. A friend of mine who lives near Carlisle actually chose to go to Hexham for treatment, breast cancer, it was more convenient in some way for her.

Sorry, better subject -I got a new bridge camera just before my holiday and really have not sorted how to use it yet! An essential was that it has a real viewfinder, not just a screen, which I do like.

• Hi everyone. This is the first time I have posted although I have "lurked" for many years.  I feel I know you all so well but it's a bit one way at the moment.  I love the support which is provided here and the obvious empathy and goodwill from everyone.

I am from Fife and have recently retired so enjoying more free time.  

• Evening all and especially....

GillianH.  Hey there and Welcome!  If you're like most people I know, you'll get so busy now you're retired you'll wonder how on earth you ever had time to work.  Are you still living in Fife?

Heather: Oddly enough there was an ad on the TV this evening for Dupuytrens (well, for treatment for it).  I have to say I'd go for the shots too. Interesting how these kinds of quirky things afflict certain groups.

OG:  I may not even worry about carpeting and chairs this year; there's been way too much organizing of one thing and many others.  (Still not up the ladder.)

Lindybird:  Those are diehard surfers.  I wonder if the waves aren't a little too consistent (although you'd think that would be better in that surfers don't have to loll around on their boards waiting for the next set of "surfable" waves, which is common).

PatO: Never been to St Petersburg, but have always been fascinated by it.  Are you going to the Hermitage?  

Forestboar:  Great news re your OH; hope you get a better time for the next appointment.

ChrisyB:  A bridge camera?  I'm clueless.  Why is it called that?

We had a lovely surprise this evening.  The doorbell rang and there was the UPS man with a huge package - a gift pack from the contractor who remodeled daughter's bathroom in Prescott Valley.  Amazing!  It included three bottles of (California) wine, a selection of crackers and cheeses and other snacky treats and a small (thank heaven!) package of chocolate.  I've never heard of anyone doing this before.  He apparently also sent a smaller gift pack (with cowboy theme) to daughter and granddaughter but, as he told me when I called to thank him: "If anyone deserves it, it's you."   :-)

Wonder where AQ is....

Have a good Saturday everyone

• Welcome, Gillian!  - always good to see a "lurker".  I've never been to Fife, but I'm sure our Scottish posters will know it! Enjoy your retirement - you will find that the days are fuller than when you were working!

Pat - I've never been to St. Petersburg either, but I'm sure you'll find it fascinating. I can recommend the "Eyewitness Guides" as very useful books to have.

Sunny here, after some very welcome rain yesterday.

• I see that Annette came on whilst I was posting (I was chatting to my OH at the same time so it took me ages!).

What a lovely surprise you had! Never heard of that happening before!

A bridge camera is a cross between the usual type of traditional hand held camera, and a modern digital: it's supposed to give you the advantages of both. I seriously looked at them when I bought the camera I mentioned the other day, but decided I might find it too complicated.

• Hi, folks. Just popping in to say that within minutes, NASA will launch a Delta 4-Heavy rocket that will take the Parker Solar Probe into space. The probe will fly into the Sun's corona, seven times closer to the Sun than any spacecraft has gone before!

This could be one of the last NASA scientific missions, since Trump and others are more interested in militarizing and commercializing space than exploring it. So you might want to watch this historic launch. 

Watch here on YouTube. Or here on NASATV

NASA is still resolving some issues, so it's not clear when the rocket will launch, but it should be very soon now.

EDIT: NASA has scrubbed the launch due to a technical issue. No launch will happen until tomorrow at the earliest. 

• Gillian - welcome!  So glad you have stepped out of 'lurk mode' and decided to post.  Although I live in the far south east of England I know Fife quite well - particularly some of the wonderful golf courses!

Annette - I think The Hermitage is considered one of the 'must see' places in St Petersburg, and it's definitely on my list.  I wonder whether anyone has managed to find any lesser-known (and less crowded!) gems they can recommend?

• Pat O: I've never been to St. Petersburg, but THIS seems like a comprehensive and informative list of the most important sites. That's all I can suggest. 

• Thanks for your link to the launch, Diane - I went to see if I'd missed it but then found it was becoming a non event. Never mind, they're just saying on our TV that it will go another day.

By the way, I forgot to say that my OH came home victorious yesterday - he won a Seniors Cup on his golf day, beating about 19 others on the day! Better make room on the sideboard for it!