WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, AUGUST 5 2018

Hope everyone has a good week.

• Hooray, its raining!!!   At last!  Never thought I'd be so pleased to say that, and to look out of our bedroom window to see what rain looks like....  It started at 11.00am and is still trickling down, although its not as hard just now.

OG - It sounds as if you've been having a major refurbishment of the garden.  Hope the shed looks smart, now its all finished! And you can get your plants in, in spite of the rain.  My Friend was already taking anti cancer drugs as she had indeed had cancer several times (breast cancer three times, ending with a double mastectomy) and cancer of the womb a few years ago.  I think she has always felt that the sword was hanging over her:  they have had several wonderful holidays in the last ten years, including touring Australia and New Zealand, and seeing the glaciers, Alaska, and Canada on a cruise. She has, as I've said before, packed an awful lot into her life, especially since they both retired. She has several cancers in her body now, and it is irreversible really.  They are only talking about "management".

• An occasional feature - -  "Bonnie's Diary!"

Friday 10th August.    My Mum has been spoiling me today, as my Dad has gone out to something called "golf" again.  He always seems pleased to see me when he comes home, don't understand why he doesn't take me with him!

Last night he told Mum not to give me too much for my dinner, as I had enjoyed chewing up and finishing off a nice dried up old bit of rabbit's leg which I found when we were out on our walk.  Mum said "It must have been the other leg of the one she had the other day......"

I watched them both plant some green things into the garden this week.  I wonder if I can sneak out soon and dig some of them up, now that they've watered them in and the ground is nice and soft.

Mum has been looking at my ears and playing the "Oh Dear!" game....  I don't understand it, but it seems to be when I have lots of sticky things stuck into my furry ears:  she pulls them off by the dozen, saying "Oh Dear" all the while.  She did it yesterday, but this morning when I came home from our walk, she started all over again..

Here I am in my new bed, which I love:  sometimes I snore a little, I'm so happy!

• Oh, BONNIE!  I well remember the spaniel ear saga of sticky things picked up on walks!  I am sure Mum is watching like a hawk as she can guess your intentions for the garden plants!

Thanks for explaining about G - I had forgotten the details.  I hope the injections will keep her comfortable for longer.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• I'm back again - you're all going to be fed up with me taking over the thread today!

But I have been sorting out my pics.  I've nearly done all the Flower Show ones, ready to show them, but first here are just a few which I took on our last visit to Wales.  As I said at the time, we made a detour from our usual route, to a road not far from where we were talking about this morning, the famous Bodnant Gardens. But we were heading for the now equally famous Surfing Snowdonia venue.  This is where an old disused aluminium plant in a valley has been totally revamped to make the only inland surfing place in Europe.  The valley was cleaned up and flooded, and then facilities added to make a modern place to go surfing!

We found it without difficulty, and parked in a big car park where thankfully, there were woods to the side where Bonnie could be taken for a quick walk. Then we left her in the car, and went inside the buildings. Straightaway, you can see the water:

The strange pier thingy in the middle is what forms the waves:  every two minutes, a plough shaped thing is pushed underneath it through the water and a big bow wave forms in front of it.  Then a bit later, it returns in the opposite direction.  There were lots of people there, all ages.

Here it comes, complete with a couple of surfers, hoping to hang onto it!  The sand coloured stuff in front of us is mesh, which as the wave passes, fills with water and froth, and you involuntarily move backwards, as you feel as if you are going to get your feet wet!!  But there is a sturdy wall in front.

Here it is passing us by.

Looking to the left.  Some of the buildings are part of the machinery and some are places to stay. On the opposite side of the little lake were lots of "pods" which could be rented for a stay - I think they are very basic, with just two beds each and a table.

Here it comes again!  the wave forms on both sides of the pier, and can be caught by the surfers on both the outwards and return of the big plough.

• We watched for ten minutes, then went inside where there are two venues for food:  a small coffee & cake place and a hot food cafe.  This has big windows so that you can sit and watch the surfing, which we did whilst we ate our locally made hot cheese pasties:  these proved to have cheese and potato inside, with a little tomato sauce in the top. Also we had surfboard shaped gingerbread. Yum. There is a soup of the day, and various pizzas also available.

Another big wave.  Apparently its been pronounced as "good, but different from the sea" by the surfers.

It all looks a bit grey as you can see it was a very cloudy day.

They must have lots of energy.

Showing the side of the big cafe.  We enjoyed it, and would recommend a short detour if you're in the area:  its all free to enter and watch, and the facilities are good and modern.  I think the surfing has to be pre booked if you want to have a go!

• Lindy - thank you for your really interesting pictures and account of the surfing place.  I never cease to be amazed at how people come up with ideas to use redundant buildings or other areas.  Sounds very impressive, and very different.  I am not a surfer (actually, I can't even swim!) but I'm sure it's fun to watch.

Has anyone here been to St Petersburg?  I am going next month and would really appreciate any suggestions as to what I should see.  We have two days there.  The cruise ship's outings are all very expensive and I want to make sure I see as much as possible, so a little knowledge and advice would be gratefully received.

• Morning all:  Have not fallen off ladder; have not been up ladder yet.

ChrisyB: Sorry to read about your bro; do hope he tolerates the treatment as well as possible

OG: Loved the story of the Orca and her calf. Reminds me of tales from the lagoons in Baja California where Gray Whales have their babies and bring them up beside boats to be admired by tourists. Proud Mums...

Off to the Y and some errands.  Will catch up with posts and pics later...

• Good news from the Cheltenham Breast clinic this afternoon. OH's tumour has shrunk a half since her first scan so it is still shrinking. 4pm appointment on a Friday  afternoon was not amusing,going round Gloucester with the major roadworks was OK going in but seeing the traffic we would be in coming back we opted for a much longer route home via M5 and M50 but probably a bit quicker but no stop-start.

• Wonderful news, FB.  You must both be tired now after such a busy afternoon.

• LINDA - have seen the wave centre on TV - looks magnificent, and good that it's café is open to the public too.

PAT  - me too, I can't swim - not adventurous enough, in fact so unadventurous that I've never travelled abroad either, so not any help re St Petersburg - other than I have heard it is full of culture!

ANNETTE - you sound in full swing, back to your busy self!  Do take care with that ladder!

FB - excellent news for your OH - so pleased for her.  Sorry about the journeys.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!