Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 1 July 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a wonderful (and cooler) week!

Collared Lizard, Arches National Park, UTAH USA
U.S. National Park Service/Casey Hodnett
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Heather: Make sure your son-in-law tells the physicians that he spent an extended period of time in the U.S. -- in Texas. Because so many people lack adequate access to healthcare, a surprising number of diseases, infections, and other conditions that you wouldn't expect to see in a highly developed country are increasingly common in the U.S.. Hookworm is just one example. 

• dibnlib:  Uh-oh. Those stubborn old people!!  :-)  Take along one of those small step-stools with the rubber tips on the legs so you can perch on it - kneeling would be very hard on your - um - knees!

Heather: Those waves can get really choppy sometimes.  Hope SiL is okay after check up on terra firma.

Lindybird: Ugh. So sorry to hear that - and I gather it's not that common. I know you'll be a much needed support for her during the treatment.  It doesn't sound good though, what with her recent rapid weight loss.

OG:  Scannng old pix into a digital format was my project for last winter.........sigh.    I'm assuming (never advisable!) that Heather's SiL's company would have good medical coverage for their ex-pat employees, but still....

Took Ms. D to science program, which was all about Gadgets, Gizmos and Gyroscopes.  The guy hosting it showed lots of old toys and tool and their updated versions.  One of the most popular toys was the figure strung between two pieces of wood that does acrobats when you squeeze the wood pieces together..   He also showed a gyroscopically (!!) designed front wheel for a kid's bike that controls balance and wobble, enabling kids to learn to ride a two-wheeler with fewer falls.  

• Thanks, DIANE. I will pass on the info.

• Further to rubbish collection. We have a 3 bin collection by our local council. Green for garden stuff, 2nd for recycling (glass plastic cardboard newspapers), each fortnightly, and a small weekly bin for general rubbish that goes to landfill. In the last we usually have 2-3 wee packages. Of course we only put non-10c refund items in recycling. I am now collecting extinct batteries as a nearby store takes them. A few suburbs away there is a depot for extinct electrical goods. (They call themselves unplug & drop!) Then there are the very light plastic bags I stuff with fruit & veg. Non-recyclable but I have discovered a store that takes these. For what, I have no idea. I just hope I am not wasting my time and the environment is grateful for all my trouble. OH would not bother.

Nearly time to leave for nanny duty. OH has instructions for evening meal – soup waiting in fridge.

• AQ: If I send you 6 old television sets, will you take them to your depot for extinct electrical goods? LOL LOL I have them lined up in my pole barn, because I have no where to dispose of them. My county has a "Tox-Away Day" once a year, where people can get rid of hazardous items, such as electronics, latex paint, etc. But they charge $20 each to accept old TVs!

(My pole barn is really just a garage that's twice as long.)

• How different are the waste collections everywhere. Perhaps you'll have to take a hammer to the tv's and take the parts to the bins, Diane!

Good Morning, All. A bit cloudier here again but high temps still predicted.

Thank You to everyone for your thoughts for my Friend G.  She is taking it well, and resigned to once again going through treatment - she has had so much illness in her life already. We've been friends since they moved in two doors away from us when our sons and her daughter were small - over 38 years ago. Her OH has been a rock, and it's been lucky that he keeps such good health himself.

• Good morning

Quick look in, son in law quite poorly and being evacuated as an emergency by Coastguard at the moment and will be taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary. I'm getting ready to go through to Elgin, eldest daughter taking me. Youngest daughter will go to Aberdeen together with her father in law

• I'm so sorry, Heather. Have a safe journey.

• Oh dear, Heather - I'm so sorry you all have this worry. Take care of yourself.

• Thanks, people xx Twiddling my thumbs just now, all packed and ready to go, waiting for eldest daughter....