Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 May 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful spring week! 

I chose this photo for the week for a reason. The last time I went to town for groceries and supplies, I stopped to take some items to my relative who broke her hip. I arrived home very late. I was unloading the car in the darkness, barely able to see with a torch (flashlight), and suddenly I heard a booming loud call, "Who cooks for you! Who cooks for you all!" That's the call of a Barred Owl! The sound was coming from a tall tree on my creek levee.

I was just about finished getting everything inside, when the bird called again. This time, he made his "monkey call." Barred Owls can make a wild series of calls that sound just like a big, loud primate. Seriously. Many years ago, we had a Barred Owl pair nesting on this patch, and my Mom swore we had a Bigfoot living in the woods! 

I was so happy to hear the big owl, and I hope he stays!

Barred Owl (Strix varia)
U.S. National Park Service
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• HEATHER - I am very relieved that the wedding happened without anyone (so far as we know) being invited!  I said I was not going to be involved in the replacement arrangements, and it's good that they just got on with it - and it is a fait accompli before the original date.  Only problem is that we don't know who else knows, and don't know who we can mention it to without letting any cats out of bags!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Lovely sunny day here - mush better than the forecast - need to check for tomorrow as we got very little done today - had to go out for a congratulation card and that was difficult as they are mostly for good wishes before the wedding day!

• Later -- Forecast good but is OH tempting fate by getting hosepipe out to water some parts of the garden?

• We got out the watering cans before we came indoors, OG.  A dry day and even warmer temps forecast for some parts, tomorrow - it might even break records for this Bank Holiday!  

Laughed at your remark about letting cats out of bags. It's rather difficult when one doesn't know who knows.

• Glad you both got some sun, Heather and Dibnlib.  The book is by Helen Simonson.  (An "International bestseller" it says on the cover!) It's well written, with some good descriptive passages.

• As my OH is now watching the Snooker on tv, I am pouring myself a glass of white wine from the bottle we had last night with our roast chicken dinner, and thinking I could be doing something with my pictures from Wales.

As I said at the time, we had passed a small hill behind the main part of the town of Caernarfon many times, and seen people standing upon it with what must be a good view.  We resolved that we would make an effort to find it, climb it and see!

Here are the results:   (we left Bonnie in the car as we didn't want to have a leaping excited dog if it was a steep climb, and it was....)

Taken halfway up the hill:  the town has for many years vastly outgrown the city walls which were added at the same time as the castle. They will be seen more clearly in some pics later.

The castle, taken with the zoom lens, to see more detail.

The Menai Straits, which are to the right of the town and castle:  this is the channel between the mainland and the Isle of Anglesey.

At the top of the hill, I turned around and took this, of the view looking behind me:  as you can see, it was not such a nice day for weather after all! Rainclouds were constantly gathering over the mountains.

Standing farther back upon the little hill, there was a nice composition of the town, the castle and the gorse which is out just about everywhere at the moment.

• The Straits, with a little bit of the city walls to the left hand side:  these can be walked upon in a guided tour.

The little tower beyond the castle:  it is in fact on the other side of an estuary behind the castle, full of small boats.

Best close up of the castle, with the little tower behind, and the city walls visible in the foreground. The castle was built over many years of hard labour and effort, but then it was not finished upon the inside, and there are several rather empty spaces within the towers which should have been rooms. But there is an impressively large space in the centre, which would once have held wooden buildings I suppose.  Its here that Prince Charles was invested as Prince of Wales by Her Majesty, many years ago in a grand ceremony.

• I returned late pm yesterday and woke this morn with sore throat. I assume the same cold that our tutor picked up on the plane first day. I have done the washing, downloaded nearly 1600 photos and now for lunch I’m off to raid the freezer of whatever OH didn’t eat. Photos & news sometime.

• Good Morning, All.  Nice to see AQ back home after her adventures, but I have put "like" because I'm pleased to see her, not because she has caught a cold! Sorry to hear it, AQ, but looking forward to the pictures, later.

Hope that Annette is similarly now safe at home again.

Sunny again here, and the warmest day lately predicted - we are going to stay at home and potter in the garden. Hope everyone in the UK can enjoy good weather.

• Good morning, ALL!  Will be a busy outdoor day here – our hottest so far.

Linda – thanks for sharing those views from the hill in Caernafon – especially spectacular shots of the castle.

AQ – welcome back, but sorry about the sore throat – hope it doesn’t develop into anything nasty.

Annette – hope you are enjoying your time in Seattle with your friend.

Not heard anything from any of the family – but pleased none have been on the phone to ask me what I know!  I am hoping Daughter and SiL are having a few days “mini-moon” somewhere nice.

I hope everyone will enjoy the Bank Hol in the UK – when did we last have a dry one, I wonder!  Anyone on the road, stay safe!